Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Three finishes and my (late) stash report

I was outside on Saturday and noticed that my Pasque flowers are in bloom!  I love the fuzziness of the stems and leaves.

I have not had much time to sew lately. We have been busy with family the last couple of weekends and since the weather is finally starting to co-operate, we have spent a few evenings doing some yard work.

I made this selvage stool seat cover for my friend, Karen. She loves it! 

I did the binding on my aunt and uncle's quilt and it was given to them today. My aunt said the colours are perfect and it will look great in her family room. I hope it keeps them cozy while watching tv or reading a book.

Cathy did a great job on the quilting, as usual.

I finally had some quilt holders here on the weekend so I got a picture of my finished Great Granny Square quilt.

Again, this one was quilted by Cathy at Eagle's Wings Quilts.

I would like to have my daughter's room painted this summer and put this quilt on the bed.

It is quilted with swirls.

I pieced the backs of both quilts.

You can see my daffodils and my peony coming up in this picture.

I can see this clump of daffodils from my patio door off the kitchen.

And now for two weeks' worth of stash report in one report...

Fabric used in the last 2 weeks: 2.0 yards
Total fabric used this year: 92.15  yards
Fabric added to the stash in the last 2 weeks: None!
Total fabric added this year: 73.33 yards
Net fabric used this year: 18.82 yards

Christine and I will be getting together to work on Lazy Sunday tomorrow night so there may be more to show after that.

Bye for now.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Bricks and Stepping Stones Ready for Quilting

I added borders to this top early last week. There is some green in many of the bricks in this quilt, so the green border picks that up. 

Tonight, I pieced the backing for this quilt, using some extra blocks from the front, as well as some other fabrics.

I will be taking everything to the quilter's house this weekend and it should be done by early next week so I can give it to the recipient by the end of the week.

Christine and I got together last night and worked on our blocks for the Lazy Sunday Mystery. I finished 12 of the 24 blocks that I will be making. 

There are lots of sub units to make for this 2nd step so we will be busy over the next few weeks getting everything done.

Here is my stash report, a few days late...

Fabric used in the last week: 5.95 yards
Total fabric used this year: 90.15  yards
Fabric added to the stash in the last week: None!
Total fabric added this year: 73.33 yards
Net fabric used this year: 16.82 yards

Until next time...

Monday, April 15, 2013

A Sad Week

My regular readers will remember that I made this Outhouse tumbler quilt for a sick relative back in January. This quilt was made for my Father-in-law. He grew up on a farm that had and still has an outhouse. This past Wednesday, he passed away peacefully, holding his daughter's hand.  He was so very pleased with his quilt and proudly showed all his caregivers the fabrics and the tractors that were quilted into it. He told them how he grew up on a farm with an outhouse. The quilt was a window into times past for him and was a great conversation starter. I often brought my current quilting project in to the hospital and later the nursing home to show him when we visited. We will all miss his supportive and loving presence in our lives.

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Swoon Backing finally done!

A few years ago, I bought this nifty Olfa circle cutter. I had never used it before cracking open the package one evening last night to make these circles for my Swoon quilt label.  I was pleased with how easy it was to use--the circles are perfect!

Here they are, fused and machine blanket stitched to my label.

I used some black and white fabric which I purchased from Pam at Mad About Patchwork for the backing. I am using the same fabric for the backing of my pinwheels table runner which I showed a couple of posts ago. 

Here is this week's stash report.  I bought some fabric for the borders and backing of my Bricks and Stepping Stones quilt which is now washed but not cut for this project so it is not counted in the "out" list yet...  this week I plan on getting this done.

Fabric used in the last week: 6.85 yards
Total fabric used this year: 84.2 yards
Fabric added to the stash in the last week: 8 yards
Total fabric added this year: 73.33 yards
Net fabric used this year: 10.87 yards

Christine and I plan on working on step 2 of the Lazy Sunday mystery by Bonnie Hunter this week.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Sewing on a Tuesday Evening

I put all my Bricks and Stepping Stones blocks together tonight. I have looked in my stash, and believe it or not, I don't have yardage in the right colour to do a border on this quilt. I am going to have to go shopping! I will have to take the top with me to see what colours will look best. I want to do a narrow inner border and then a wider border.  
I did my next quilt block for the Elgin Piecemakers chemo quilts too. This one will be handed in at our June meeting--I am ahead of the game!  I found this pattern in the 100 blocks magazine.  It was designed by Julie Herman at Jaybird Quilts.
I did not have to do much cutting for this block--I had some 2 1/2" squares cut already and Christine donated a few from her stash as well. The darker fabric is really a darker blue--not black as it appears in the photo.

There will be more sewing time this week---I really want to get the back of my Swoon quilt pieced this week...