Tuesday, March 29, 2016
Finally, a sunny day and my husband was home to hold the quilt for the photoshoot! I spent Sunday hand sewing the binding and managed to get it all done. Yesterday was too cold and rainy/snowy to take pictures outside.
Eagles' Wings Quilts did a lovely job with the custom quilting. There is wood grain quilting on the coop looks great! The chickens have feathers and the wings have a paisley quilting pattern. There are eggs in the chicken wire border.
It is so nice to have a finished quilt to show to all of you. I will be taking my quilt to the Elgin Piecemakers meeting later this week for show and tell. This fall, the London Friendship Quilters Guild will be holding their quilt show and this quilt will make an appearance there too.
Saturday, March 26, 2016
I have spent some time most days working on my daughter's graduation quilt. I finished the first half last week.
I took my chicken quilt to Cathy at Eagle's Wings quilts a few weeks ago and picked it up yesterday. Today, I did a poll with some friends to see what colour I should use for the binding.
After all the votes were counted (6 people weighed in with their opinions...), red won!
This afternoon, I machine sewed the binding to the front of the quilt. Tomorrow, I will do the hand sewing for my Slow Sunday Stitching with Kathy and the other hand stitchers.
I know this picture is upside-down, but it shows the custom quilting that Cathy and I decided on...
There are eggs quilted into the chicken wire border.
With any luck, I should have a finished quilt for show and tell at our Elgin Piecemaker's Guild meeting on Thursday night.
Saturday, March 12, 2016
I have had a whole day to myself today and spent most of the day down in my sewing room. I worked on my daughter`s quilt most of the day. Some cutting, some sewing, some pressing and more sewing...all while listening to CBC podcasts. Blissful!
I managed to make 10 rows today. The top 10 rows were finished and sewn together earlier this week, so today, I doubled the size!
Tonight, I did some hand stitching while watching the Brier--the men`s national curling championship for Canada. We are all big curling fans in our family.
I will be linking up to Kathy`s Slow Sunday Stitching.
Here is my stash report as well:
Fabric used since my last stash report: 20.65 yards
Total fabric used this year: 28.25 yards
Fabric added to the stash since my last report: 41.25 yards.
Total fabric added this year: 43.25 yards
Net fabric added this year: 15 yards
I have plans for much of the fabric that I have purchased recently so it will soon be in the ``used`` column!
Tuesday, March 1, 2016
My daughter finished university over a year ago and I told her I wanted to make her a quilt as a graduation gift. She moved into a new apartment last summer and decided that a new quilt would be nice for her new bed. She is pretty fussy about what she likes and does not like so it took a long time to look at different patterns, fabrics and colours. On Family Day weekend, we went to Mad About Patchwork and chose a pattern (Four Corners by Nancy Purvis) and fabric.
You may remember seeing a picture of the fabrics a few posts back...
I bought enough fabric for her quilt and took it home. I washed it and ironed it. After cutting a couple of strips of each fabric and making some squares, I spent some time arranging the fabrics to figure out the order of the colours.
I emailed the pictures to my daughter so she could have input.
She did not like white (and neither did I!!)
Next, I tried a mid gray with stripes in it. She and I both liked this better. I left this up on my design wall for a few days and consulted with my fellow quilters from the Elgin Piecemakers when we met at my house last week. They all thought the gray with the stripes fit in well. I checked with my daughter again and she gave me the final approval.
Then I put together another strip, and another...