A few posts back, I showed you two red, gray and white slab quilt blocks that I had made for a quilt for a new refugee to Canada. I did not have time myself to make all of the blocks for this quilt, so I asked members of two of the guilds I belong to if they would like to help out by making a block or two. Several members of both guilds made blocks for me and soon I had enough for a single bed quilt. I received 26 blocks from my quilting friends and ended up making two more myself (still not even a dent in my scraps!) for a total of 30 blocks (including the two I had made previously).
I decided to use sashing and cornerstones around each block. The gray and red fabrics were in my stash. I used two different reds that looked similar for the cornerstones. My friend, Cathy, has Electric Quilt on her computer and she helped me to figure out the number of squares and sashing strips to cut as well as how wide to make them to end up with the right size of quilt in the end.
I don't like sewing long skinny strips to rows of blocks so I added two sashing strips and a corner block to each 12.5" block.
Here are my extra two blocks in progress.
Here are the first 12 blocks laid out on the floor. I hope to have all of the blocks sewn together into a finished top by later this week. The sashing and corner blocks will go around the entire quilt. Then, I will need to get some backing fabric.
Thanks, quilting friends, for your help making blocks for this quilt! I could not have done it without you!