Thursday, January 4, 2018

Sewing Slabs

Christine was supposed to come over tonight for our first sewing night in 2018, but the weather did not co-operate.  The snow was coming down and the wind was blowing...poor visibility and slippery roads--not great for travel to and from my house.  We will have to try to get together one night next week.

I went down to my sewing room tonight after supper to make a couple of slab blocks.  My church is part of a group of churches that is sponsoring a refugee and I offered to make a single bed quilt for him.  I decided to use red, grey and white fabrics in the slabs and have asked several quilting friends to make slabs as well to contribute to the quilt.  You can get a description of how to make a slab block at Cheryl Arkison's blog here.   They are a great way to use up scraps.  I pulled out my scrap bins and made a pile of pieces for my slabs.


Some of these fabrics may look familiar--some were used in my recently completed Christmas Tree skirt.  I also found some Canadian Fabrics in my scrap bins--perfect for a newcomer to Canada.  I sewed and pressed and trimmed and sewed some more.  I ended up with two completed slabs and one more started, to be finished another time.


Here is the second block.


I have made many slab blocks over the last couple of years---I never seem to run out of scraps to make more. I will need 48 slab blocks for this quilt so I should be able to use up more of my scraps.

No comments:

Post a Comment