Monday, April 24, 2017

Santa has arrived!

The next block in Lorna's Holly Jolly quilt along is none other than the man in the red suit...Santa!   I cut out all the pieces on the weekend. 


Not quite as many pieces as the last block...

Tonight, my husband was out so I headed down to the sewing room after supper.  Soon, some eyes were staring up at me...


Then, a mouth...


A jolly beard...


And a nice red hat. 


Eight blocks done...only 7 more to go. 


I also made my Elgin Piecemakers comfort quilt block on the weekend.  The colours for april are navy, green and white and the block must include at least one pinwheel.  

First I made this block...


I decided to change it a bit...My block has two liberated pinwheels! 


It was a beautiful sunny day today.  I stopped to take a picture on my way.  


There are actually several barn quilts along the way...I will try to get some other photos another day.  










Saturday, April 22, 2017

Slow Stitching

On Saturday, Karen and I went to the Embroiderer's Guild show in London (Canada).  We all sorts of wonderful hand stitching projects including cards, book covers, fidget blankets, ornaments, knitting, tatting, and wall art.  I was ready to grab my phone and take some pictures when I saw the sign...No Photograhs.  You will just have to take my word for it...the show was inspiring!  

I did some more sewing in the car this week.  


I finished two more plus signs.  



I'm also making 140 4" square bean bags for a weighted blanket.  Each one is hand sewn shut after I add the plastic beads.  I have 40 completely done...only 100 more to go.  


More flowers blooming this week...




I will be linking up with Kathy and the other slow Stitchers in the morning.  

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Cardinal Surgery

I finally got around to making my Cardinal block for the Holly Jolly Christmas sew along at Sew Fresh Quilts.  I cut it out one night...

There are lots of pieces!  I sewed it together yesterday.


It wasn't until I took this picture that I noticed a mistake...I had wondered why there was a leftover piece when I was done...

I used my best friend to help me perform the surgery... And then stitched the extra piece in where it was supposed to be. 


A little pressing, and the Cardinal was looking much better!


He has joined the other blocks on my design wall.  


I did sine EPP this week as well, finishing three more plus signs. 


The pile is getting higher.


I hope to make a few more this week. 

I took a few pictures in my backyard tonight.  I have interesting plants growing between my patio stones.




My pasqueflower is almost blooming too. 

Happy Easter!  

Saturday, April 8, 2017

Quilt in a Day

My MIL asked me to make a quilt for a friend's new baby girl.  I was in the mood for sewing on Friday afternoon so I got to work.  The pattern for this quilt is from Diary of a Quilter.  I have had this fabric in my stash for a few years and decided it was time to use it in a quilt.  


After sewing the star together, I added a border...


I used only fabrics from my stash for this quilt.  I had enough white for the background and enough of this print for the backing. 


I pin basted the quilt before supper on my kitchen floor.  After supper, I did the quilting with my walking foot using a zig zag stitch and yellow Aurifil thread. 


I quilted diagonally through the star and then in "V"s in the triangles on the sides.  The middle of the star has a funky cross hatch design. 



I looked in my solids to find some fabric for the binding.  Again, I did not want to do any shopping for this quilt so the binding is turquoise...I did not have enough of the right colour of green or red.  




I hand stitched the binding today, so technically, the quilt was completed in a little over 24 hours.  My favourite quilt holder did the honours for a picture on the front porch. 


I just need to add a label and it will be ready for gifting!  

I hand sewed the binding on another quilt this week as well...this is a comfort quilt for the London Friendship Quilter's Guild.  Other members of the committee put the top together and did the quilting.  I had a long ride in the car earlier this week so the hand stitching got done as we rode along. 



I worked on a couple of plus signs as well.  One is not quite finished.  I hope to make a few more tomorrow for slow Sunday stitching. I will be linking up to Kathy's blog in the morning.