Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Sewing Night

For the last three sewing nights with Christine, I have been working on a Canada 150 block.  It is a paper pieced pattern that I found online. Here is the link.  I found this block a bit challenging...there was some unsewing involved!  I decided to use prints instead of solids for my block.  In the end, it all worked out and the block lies flat.  I will probably not be making another one!


I decided to make a pillow with my block so I added borders to make it the right size for my pillow form.  I will quilt it and put the pillow together on Saturday at our guild sew-in day. I still have to figure out what to use for the back of the pillow.  I don't have enough of the grey.


After finishing the Canada 150 block, I made another block for my liberated sampler quilt.  This one is called Hashtag.  I am using a little bit of my focus fabrics in each block. I have seven blocks done now.  There are 64- 6" blocks in this quilt.


I will try to post a picture of all my blocks next time. 




Sunday, July 16, 2017

Snow in July



Busy week at my house with very little sewing time...  Last week, my counted cross stitch snowmen project looked like this (see above).  The four snowmen are done and now I am filling in the snow in between the snowmen.  This part is not as exciting as the snowmen!

Yesterday, there was some sewing time in the car.  The black and grey blob in the snow will be a bird once it is outlined!

You can see I managed to get a bit more done on the way home.  I love these long daylight hours in the evenings!  It means I can sew in the car after dinner...


There are lots of flowers blooming in my garden at the moment.  This hydrangea bush in our front garden is loaded with blooms this year.

We planted this bright pink coreopsis last year and it is happily putting on a great show this summer.

I will be linking up to Kathy's Blog with the other slow stitchers today.  Take a look and see what everyone is up to today.

Sunday, July 9, 2017

Making Blocks in the Sewing Room


I made a couple of blocks for my liberated sampler quilt this week.  This little liberated basket is made using Gwen Marston's method.  It is meant to be a bit tipsy!  I am just going to add a touch of orange here and there on this quilt and the basket handle seemed like a perfect spot for some orange.

This one is called a cross block.   Each block is 6.5" square and there will be 64 blocks in this quilt.  I still have lots of blocks to make--I have 6 done now.  I will try to make a few more this week.  The pattern is from 42quilts.com.  The basket block was my own addition to the quilt...she has a couple of blocks that I am not keen on so I will just substitute my own blocks for those ones.


On Saturday, I had a friend, Cathy, over to sew for the afternoon.  I made the most recent block for my Holly Jolly Christmas quilt.  There are only three blocks to go...

Here is my completed wreath block.  Below, you can see all of my blocks so far.


My garden is looking great right now.  We have had a lot of rain so everything is very lush. I planted this red echinacea last year.  There are lots of flowers just opening up on this plant.


The pink ones are putting on a show as well. 



Friday, July 7, 2017

Slow Stitching in High Places

Last weekend, my husband and I spent the weekend with our daughter in Ottawa for Canada's 150th birthday party! I spent my time on the long drive working on my counted cross stitch snowman project. Here's where this project was when we were over half way to Ottawa:


I sewed for hours and hours in the car.  It kept me awake and I made lots of progress as we travelled along.

On Canada Day, we watched the fireworks from the 15th floor of an office building facing Parliament Hill.  We arrived early to get "window seats" and I did some cross stitch while we waited. Here is my view as I stitched:




The fireworks were spectacular!  We had a great view and did not get wet during the rain that happened before the fireworks.


The window was wet from the rain.


I did more sewing on the drive home.


I filled in the white part, which took a while...

Then, I worked on the hat.

By the time we got home, snowman #4 was done.



The next step---adding all the snow on the ground...lots of solid stitching with this part. There is a shiny thread added to this part and I find it gets tangled easily so the stitching is a little slower.  I guess that's why we call it slow stitching...


I will be linking up to Kathy's Slow Sunday stitching on Sunday morning.