Saturday, July 22, 2017

LFQG Summer Sewing Day

Today was our London Friendship Quilters Guild annual summer sewing day.  I had all of my projects, sewing machine and supplies packed up last night and ready to take out to the car this morning.  I brought along three things to sew today:

First up, I wanted to get this block quilted and made into a pillow.  I brought along some variegated thread that I thought would be perfect for the organic quilting that I had planned...I got about 2/3's done and then decided that I hated the variegated thread.

I spent the next hour and a half unsewing all of my quilting...not a productive start to my day.

The fabric on the back of the quilt will not show in the finished pillow as it will be inside the pillow. I ended up using a light grey thread and quilting it organically.

I then put the Canada 150 pillow aside to work on my second project...making and attaching the binding to this comfort quilt for an adult chemo patient at our local hospital--an outreach project of another guild that I belong to--the Elgin Piecemakers.  

This went much smoother that project number one, with no seam ripper involvement at all!  I will be doing the hand stitching tomorrow for my slow Sunday stitching project.


I did some of the hand stitching tonight while watching Grantchester on TV.



My third project barely got started--I have the pieces cut out for my next block, a reindeer, for my Holly Jolly Christmas quilt that I am making through a sew along at Lorna's blog, Sew Fresh Quilts. I hope to get it sewn together sometime this week before the next block pattern comes out on Saturday.

I will post pictures of the finished pillow and Christmas block later this week.

10 comments:

  1. Don't you just hate having to unpick quilting. But, sometimes you just have to do it. Your projects all look great though. Enjoy your Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have unpicked too and it is not fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yours is the third un-stitching story I've read this morning, including my own! We watched Grantchester last night for the first time, and enjoyed it. We will watch tonight's episode, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think a lot of us have a love-hate relationship with our seam rippers. Glad you like the quilting better the second time around. It would have been a shame to be unhappy with the finished project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unpicking can be the worst. I'm always glad when I'm finished with it. I love the comfort quilt! It will be well loved by the recipient. Happy sewing! --Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh... unpicking... bleck :(
    Hope you enjoyed some relaxing binding today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the first block, sorry about the un-sewing, that's always a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry that you had to unsew. Your pillow is very pretty. The comfort quilt is very pretty. I am sure it will give much comfort .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reverse stitching can be such a pain, but a necessary evil at times.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice! Your Canada 150 block looks great; sorry that you ended up having to un-stitch. It's going to be a very pretty pillow!

    ReplyDelete