Saturday, June 13, 2020

Stitching, Knitting and Cutting

I think I spent some time every day this week working on this table runner--the quilting took a long time and two bobbins of thread to finish. I made the string pieced triangles in an online workshop with Sarah Bond, hosted by the Modern Quilt Guild, 3 weeks ago.


The backing is a fun fabric purchased in the last year.  I like the orange accents in it and the random "Hello".  The binding is an orange solid I had in my stash. The bobbin had 50 wt thread in it but the top thread was 30 wt.  Those quilting lines are the width of my walking foot apart.



The runner fits nicely on my coffee table and also on the dining room table.  This was a fun way to use up some scraps.


Finn and my daughter are back home.  Finn enjoys being outside in the evenings. 


There is another baby, a boy, on the way in about 6 weeks so I started working on an I Spy quilt today.  These rectangular 4 patches will be between each I Spy fabric.


I started cutting out the I Spy fabrics tonight.   I will sew the top together this week and quilt it myself.  I have a lot of novelty prints to use for I Spy quilts.


A few weeks ago, I purchased two hanging baskets with fuchsia in them for our front porch.  Almost immediately, a mourning dove took up residence in one of the baskets, built her nest and laid her eggs.  She does not budge off of the nest, even when we water the flowers.

This week, we had a wild thunder storm and the basket swung to and fro and she still sat on the nest.  The next day, we got our first glimpse of the babies.

They are growing fast and are very calm, like their mother.

Our gardens continue to produce new blooms...Peony

Salvia

Pincushion Flower (appropriate in the garden of a quilter!)


These verbenas are in a pot on our patio. 


Our first daylily bloomed this week too. 


I spent quite a bit of time knitting this week and have just about finished the facecloth I started last week.


I am reading a book right now called "This Golden Fleece: A Journey Through Britain's Knitted History".  My husband gave it to me for Christmas.  The author travelled around Britain to study the subject and knitted several traditional patterns as she travelled.  If you are a knitter, you might be interested in this book.


I will link up with Kathy and the Slow Sunday Stitchers in the morning. 

10 comments:

  1. I love the table runner. I am looking forward to seeing the I Spy quilt. Your flowers are so pretty. I never heard of a pincushion flower. It is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that stitching on the table runner is so perfectly straight!
    The dove chicks are super cute. How nice to have them in your garden

    ReplyDelete
  3. how neat to see the baby birds up there in the nest - surprising that she didn't move even when you carefully water the plant!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice post! I always love peeks into your garden, you take such good pictures of it. Just a few minutes ago I solved a problem that I've been having with my camera, and now I am inspired to venture out and capture some of my own blooms. I also like your tablerunner...I really want to explore more modern quilting in the years to come. I think we had the same black/white polka dot fabric...I actually used some this weekend to make a scrub cap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and I meant to give you kudos on your knitting! I think I'll purchase that book, it looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could not bear to take a class on line right now. I spend all day sitting at a computer working from home and I really don't like it. So taking an online class right now does not appeal to me. Great job on the runner... a clever idea for using up scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely table runner. I have a fuschia I have had for quite some time. A hummingbird was trying to make a next in there, unknown to me, and I watered the fuschia. It got mad and hummingbirds started pooping all over my car!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute table runner. Love all the flowers in your garden. That looks like an interesting book, I'll have to see if the library has it near me. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your scrappy table runner with the matchstick quilting. Congrats on the new baby in the family! Your flowers are gorgeous! I may need to take a closer look at that book it sounds quite interesting. My hubby has been watching a you tube video a sheep farmer in Canada has. He has me watching it too, but she says the wool really has no value and she raises them for the meat market. I think that is so sad as it's hard to find wool yarn locally anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice table runner. You did a great job picking colors, including backing & binding. Your face cloth is really nice too. Love the stitch pattern. We once had a dove take residence in one of my hanging baskets too. She returned (I assume it was her) for several years and had many babies. I don't know what happened but she stopped coming after a while. Thanks for the trip through your garden!

    ReplyDelete