Saturday, May 22, 2021

A Whole Lot of Binding!

This was my week for hand stitching binding, among other projects.  I finished hand stitching the binding on these three placemats for Meals on Wheels last weekend.  I now have 12 made for the Elgin Piecemakers donation and three for the Oxford Guild donation.    


Next up, this quilt was pieced by a member of the Elgin Piecemakers who sadly passed away.  It was given to the guild by her family and we decided at a recent meeting that it would be quilted by one of our long arm quilter members and then bound by me before donating it to the local Women's Shelter.  It is queen sized.  The three placemats above were made with some of the leftover fabrics from this quilt. I think R would be very pleased with how it turned out. 




I plan on doing some more binding tomorrow on a baby quilt which I quilted today.  While cleaning up my sewing room this week, I found that I had 9 quilt tops (baby/lap sized and a couple of wall hangings) waiting to be quilted.  Some were even pin basted already!  Yikes!  I need to get these to the finish line! Today, I picked the easiest one, my blue colour block quilt, to do first.  I had already decided on a quilting design and the backing fabric was all ready to go.  


 I am using a navy blue solid for the binding. I just have to do the hand stitching now.  Maybe I will get another couple of quilt tops quilted this week...

I took a Maria Shell class on Zoom this past Wednesday--the reason for the cleaning up of the sewing room.  The class was titled "Riffing on a Block".  Maria had all of us cutting our fabric without using rulers, something I have done before, but not it quite the same way.  We each had to make a sample of our chosen block and then make several more blocks based on the sample. Here is my sample block, made without rulers. 


And here is my first block, based on the hashtag sample block. The wonkiness is intentional. I did not originally add the dark green strips on the sides of my pieced sections, but decided to add them to make them pop a bit.  I love the result!  I have more ideas percolating in my head for more blocks. 


I am participating in a round robin with the Toronto Modern Guild and made these three 6" blocks to mail to the next person this week.  Unfortunately, I messed up when reading the chart of who I was supposed to mail them to and sent them to the wrong person!  It has been sorted out now and they will be sent to the correct person this week, thankfully! 


Love Birds had some stitches added this week when we were in the car. I've started on the next large cream coloured flower. 


Munich is just a few stitches shy of being finished by my daughter.  She hopes to finish it tomorrow. 


Our patio and porch pots are all planted and growing nicely.  The perennial gardens are looking good too.  We finally had a bit of rain today which should help bring the flowers on.  Clematis, Columbine and Thrift:




This daffodil is a new one I planted last fall. 


My husband and I went for a couple of hikes this week.  This was my favourite picture from our hike on Monday...Trilliums in full bloom. 


I will link up with Kathy and the other slow stitchers in the morning.  

9 comments:

  1. It's great the quilt got finished and will go to a good home. Your no ruler project looks great fun, I've had a little go at doing something like that, it's quite liberating. Yours and your daughters cross stitches are looking lovely, I hope she gets it finished today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That quilt is so pretty, How wonderful that your guild is donating it. The cross stitch projects are really progressing. All "sew" pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is too bad no one in the family wanted that quilt! but glad to hear you all have finished it and donating it for your lost guild member. Your stitching is so pretty and love your flowers

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a gorgeous quilt as the placemats are. No ruler project looks very interisting, no one will say your block was made this way, if you didn't mention it. Great progress on the cross stitch front.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The quilt started by your friend and finished by the guild is beautiful, and will bring someone a lot of comfort! Trying the no ruler block looks like fun, and I love the result. Sounds wonderful to get out for some hiking, too -the trillium are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quilt is such a lovely remembrance of your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quilt, and great projects and stitching you have going. Love seeing your beautiful flowers! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Projects all looking amazing and the flowers, are just beautiful. Trilliums always stop me in my tracks, they are just there where you do not expect them to be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That donation quilt is gorgeous! You will have a lot of hand stitching with all the quilts you are getting quilted up!
    Such pretty spring flowers... great photos!

    ReplyDelete