Friday, December 31, 2021

Favourites from 2021

 The end of the year is a good time to look back at what we have accomplished in the past 12 months.  Cheryl at Meadow Mist Designs hosts and annual "Best of..." party and so I will be linking this post up to her blog.  I have done lots of machine sewing, hand stitching and knitting this year and it is hard to pick out which projects were my favourites.  Here is my best effort!

1. My favourite hand stitching project was "Love Birds"--a counted cross stitch picture that I made for a friend's daughter and her husband as a wedding gift.  They have it hanging on their wall and were very pleased to receive it, even if it was several months after their wedding before I finished it! 

2.  I participated in the Colour Blocks challenge this past year as a way to use up some scrappy 2.5" squares and made several quilts--I still have lots of squares left so there may be more quilts assembled using these colourful scraps! I had lots of blue scraps and made this baby quilt with them. 

 

I also really loved my gray and yellow colour blocks quilt. 

3.  Last year, I made a scrappy red and white Modern Snowflake quilt for a friend.  I wanted to make one for myself this year and used stash fabrics to make this Buffalo plaid version.  I finished hand sewing the binding this week and it is now in use in our great room for the winter months. This was the only sewing I did this past week so I will be linking up with Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching party on Sunday morning. The pattern is by Modern Handcraft. 






4. I am happiest when just playing with fabric to make up my own designs and I want to do more of this in the coming year.  I made a wall hanging for a friend for Christmas this year doing just that.


5. I had a couple of sewing goals this past year --use only stash fabrics and try not to buy any fabric except backings and backgrounds. I made lots of quilts using my stash this year including some baby gifts and quilts for family members. Many of them had pieced backs in an effort to use up what I had. Here is one of the quilts I made with only fabrics from my stash, including the backing and binding. I made it to match the colours in the family room of the recipients. 

I bought some fabric online during QuiltCon in February and have been using lots of it in my projects--many of which are still UFO's on my list to complete in 2022. Stay tuned--there should be some finishes early in 2022. 

Happy New Year, everyone!  

I can't have a blogpost without a picture of my favourite grand-dog, Finn and his new squeaky Fox toy!



16 comments:

  1. nice quilts - the year went by so fast - amazing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love the simplicity and colorway of Love Birds. I remember thinking that snowflake quilt was fantastic. Of course I like all of your projects. It wouldn't be a fun blog post without a photo of Finn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love that snowflake quilt! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to make that big snowflake but feel it should be longarm quilted if I try it... Finn is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have finished some gorgeous projects this year! Finn with his new toy is adorable. Lola got a sweaky corn on the cob for Christmas, but ambers taken a real fancy to it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have had some beautiful finishes this year. Love the quilt in your header. Finn looks like he is having a great time with his new toy! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had some gorgeous finishes this past year. I have never seen the Love Birds stitch before- gorgeous. I look forward to seeing what 2022 has in store for you. Happy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a wonderful variety of projects! I love your Love Birds needlework and your buffalo plaid snowflake turned out fantastic, too. Happy New Year and Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've made many beautiful quilts this year! I love those color block designs, and the snowflake quilt, too. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVe that modern snowflake Gail! But I love ALL the projects you shared :) Enjoy snuggling or fussing over who gets to snuggle under that darling quilt you made so fun in buffalo plaid colors!
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful finishes, Gail.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many lovely finished projects from 2021. I'm envious. It would be difficult to choose a favorite. Finn must have been a very good boy to get such a nice toy at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So nice to see your favourites, and another photo of Finn too. Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. lovely projects...and kudos to you for sewing from stash!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been looking and looking at this snowflake quilt and now that I've seen your version I have to get it! Yours is great with that plaid.
    Good luck with the stash-only year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on a wonderful 2021, such great finishes! Happy New year and I hope 2022 is wonderful for you!

    ReplyDelete