Saturday, July 23, 2022

A Finished Quilt

 Most of my sewing this past week was by hand.  I finished quilting the Quilt for a Survivor of a Residential School on Monday and added the binding by machine on Tuesday, leaving the hand sewing of the binding for several car trips we made on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.  It's been hot here so having a quilt on my lap was a bit warm but I directed the A/C vents towards me and managed to finish the hand sewing without melting!  First, a few close ups of the quilting.  I used navy thread top and bottom and my walking foot. 





The blocks for this quilt were started in an online class with Cheryl Arkison--Traditional Variations. The backing was pieced using batiks from my stash and some extra 6" blocks which did not end up on the front of the quilt. 



This picture was taken before the last two sides of the binding were completed.  you will have to take my word for it that the quilt is totally done now. 


I have a pot on my front porch were I planted several varieties of coleus this year.  Within days of planting them, the squirrels came along and chewed up the plants, dug out the roots and flung the plant parts and lots of dirt all over the porch.  I was not happy with them!!!  I ended up putting a small hosta plant in the pot and they left it alone, thankfully. It bloomed this week!  So pretty!  





I noticed a small bee on one of my Black Eyed Susan flowers today.  


Finn has been his usual cute self this week.  He loves to sit outside.  


This is a bit of a weird pose, Finn!  He does like to sit on a soft pillow. 


Our daughter bought him some doggy frozen yoghurt--peanut butter banana--he loved it!


I will link up with Kathy's Slow Stitching Crew in the morning.  I hope to get my purple blocks done this coming week and maybe get started with quilting another quilt.  I also have a wedding gift quilt to make...too many projects, sew little time...




11 comments:

  1. I hate it when the small animals and bugs ruin a plant - right now I am coping with gophers

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photo of the bee on the Black Eyed Susan is amazing. As for the Survivor of a Residential School quilt, how fabulous it is; front and back. I am always struck by the colours, patterns and fabrics you put together. You have a special talent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the bright and happy collors on this quilt. The quilting is also great. Beautiful purple flower and
    Finn, as always is so handsome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darn squirrels! Love the colours on your quilt. I'm visiting from Slow Sunday Stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The back of the quilt is such a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a pretty quilt - bright and happy! Hooray for finishing it up. The squirrels do the same thing at our house - I always wonder what they're looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice finish on your improv quilt! Those naughty squirrels are maddening aren’t they? Finn really is the cutest! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool quilt! Give Finn kisses please! Come see our new Kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Doggy frozen yogurt, who would have thought of such a thing! So pleased Finn enjoyed his treat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your liberated blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a wonderful piece; how generous you are to donate it. I'm sure it will be loved. I wonder if Ned would like those treats...sounds great in this heat.

    ReplyDelete