Saturday, December 17, 2022

Slow Stitching

 I have been furiously sewing this week to finish off some Christmas gifts in time for the big day.  Just a little bit more to do! My cousin and her husband came for lunch on Friday.  We do not get to see each other very often but often talk on the phone about our mutual genealogy project--shaking the family tree on our mothers' side of the family to see what we can find out.  The majority of our family members are Scottish with some Irish as well.  I made my cousin a wide open zippered pouch with some fabric I bought in Scotland at a small quilt store in Inverness in 2019.  I picked up a few Scottish themed fat quarters in that shop. 



I am making my MIL a wool sheep ornament.  I bought this kit at a quilt show in October and finally got around to cutting it out this week.  I fused the pieces to a black base and got to work on the stitching. 



You can't tell, but I have most of the head and ears stitched down. I have to add eyes (French knots) and a mouth as well as blanket stitching the snow at the top of the wreath.  There are a few small buttons to add as well.  This will be my slow stitching project for tomorrow.  If you know my MIL, please keep her gift a secret!  I worked on some other gifts too, but this is all I can share for now.  I have a bit more stitching to do on the other gifts as well. 


Finn and my daughter got a lot of snow over the last few days.  Of course, he loves to stick his face into the snow!

My grandmother died in 1985.  I remember her always having a knitting or other project on the go.  She made us mittens when I was growing up.  I still have a few pairs that she made!  One year, she made herself and her four daughters (including my mother) each a NOEL decoration.  When my mother died, I received her NOEL which I hang up every year in memory of my grandmother. Each letter is stitched on plastic canvas. 


I will link up with Kathy and the Slow Sunday Stitchers in the morning.  Next week, I should be able to share the other gifts I have been making.  Have a great week. 

10 comments:

  1. Cute wee baggies. I like the sheep too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are making great progress on the sheep ornament. Happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are so busy, I think it stresses me out too much to make things for Xmas presents trying to get things done by a deadline - that is nice that you do that

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always had the best success with the open-wide zipper pouch design, and they make such great gifts! That's a pretty one. Sweet little ornament, too! Love the photos you share of Finn. He's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely gifts you are making! I would like to learn to work with wool, but I'm afraid to fall in love with it LOL! The sheep ornament is darling! Such a lovely way to honour your Grandmother's hand stitching in your home by hanging up her Noel canvas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely bag and the sheep ornament is adorable. The Noel is a beautiful ornament. Finn's photo made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make such lovely zip pouches. They are lovely gifts. That sheep is really cute. Did you finish your mini rug sheep? I might have missed him! Nice Noel hanging from your door. Lovely to have something your grandmother made. Sarah quilting by the sea

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that sheep ornament and the hanging NOEL. Finn looks like he enjoys the snow. I want to start working on my genealogy. I had a free subscription for a while and started tracing my paternal grandmother's ancestry. I came up with Danish and Scottish roots. Some came to America around the time of the Mayflower. I want to explore more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, that pouch is just too cute! I love your quilting!
    Your lovely sheep ornament caught my eye at Kathy’s Quilts! Just curious, where will the buttons go? That is such a precious ornament and your stitching is lovely. I really enjoy making and seeing how other’s create their Christmas ornaments.
    I hope we get some snow so that I can see our Chico play in it!
    How fortunate to have décor made by your grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The open zippered pouch you sewed for your cousin is a pretty one and your MIL is going to love the little wool sheep ornament. How lovely that each year you hang your grandmother's beautiful NOEL in memory of her. I love that!

    ReplyDelete