Saturday, February 11, 2023

A Finished Quilt and A New Start

 Almost all of my sewing time this week was devoted to finishing the turquoise and gray wedding quilt.  Several hours were spent at the sewing machine, adding lines of quilting with turquoise thread using my walking foot.  The herringbone part of the quilt was quilted with diagonal lines following the pattern of angles of the turquoise strip piecing. 


The backing of this quilt is turquoise flannel--so soft and warm!


I did the hand stitching of the binding in the car.  I had some solid turquoise in my stash which was used for the binding.  I just noticed the thread formed a heart ... totally by accident, not design!


All done!  It's a bit wrinkly because of how I bunched in up in my lap in the car.  Both wedding quilts that I made this year are now in the hands of the newlyweds.  


When I looked in my stash of embroidery thread, I discovered that I did not have all of the colours needed for my next cross stitch project.  I had to go to two stores to get all of the colours.  I also bought some light turquoise Aida cloth to use for this picture.  The first colour I used was turquoise. (Turquoise seems to be a theme in this post!)



My husband and I took a trip by train to Toronto this week for my birthday, going to an exhibition at the Art Gallery of Ontario featuring the music, songs, poetry and art of Leonard Cohen.  We also went to the textile museum and out for supper before heading home.  It was a beautiful sunny day, perfect for walking around downtown Toronto. 




The sun was rising as we drove to the train station. 



Finn has figured out that the city my daughter is stitching is Ottawa.  He was out for a snowy walk today and spent some time rolling in the snow. 




Finn also wants you to know he likes to eat yoghurt, even though it is a bit messy. 


I will link up with Kathy in the morning. I'm hoping to work on some more cross stitch tomorrow for Slow Sunday Stitching. 

12 comments:

  1. I like flannel backings on quilts, warm and snuggly. And stitching the binding down is my favourite part!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that wedding quilt. I like your daughter's stitching. Finn always looks so happy. I am glad you enjoyed your city visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that turquoise quilt! A day trip to Toronto is always fun. I haven't been to the Textile Museum in so long!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that quilt is looking so good! I remember driving through Toronto years ago and that is it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt and Finn looks like he is enjoying his life with snow, treats and snuggles. I remember going up that tower when I was in Toronto back in the mid 90's! Have a great Sunday and a belated Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That’s a beautiful finish Gail, i bet the newlyweds were delighted! I like the idea of turquoise Aida for your Easter bunny I’m thinking? Finn really is adorable. Your birthday visit looked lovely. 45 years ago was in Toronto! Sarah quilting by the sea

    ReplyDelete
  7. The wedding quilt is beautiful! I really like the gray and turquoise combination. Great finish! Your trip to Toronto sounds so enjoyable, and happy birthday! Love Finn's little snow boots!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a wonderful way to spend your birthday! You did a nice job on the wedding quilt. Silly Finn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday wishes. A lovely way to spend the day. Beautiful finish and lovely cross stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The turquoise and grey wedding quilt is a dream! Such a beautiful wedding gift to love forevermore. Happy, Happy birthday to you, lovely Gail. How exciting to walk around Toronto and visit an exhibition on all things Leonard Cohen. Love, love, love all things Leonard Cohen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The weding quilt is lovely. Congrats on this beautiful finish. Great start with the cross stitch project. Finn as always put a smile on my face, he is sooo cute. Glad to hear you had a wonderful time during your trip to Toronto. Happy Birthday, Gail !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on the finish! I love the turquoise binding! I want to go to the Leonard Cohen exhibit... it's on the "to do" list!

    ReplyDelete