Saturday, March 11, 2023

Two Finished Quilts!

I have two finished quilts to share with you this week.  They are both Rainbow Scrap Challenge finishes, the first from 2021 and the second one from 2022. This pattern is by Gudrun Erla from her "Quilts of Iceland" book.  I used a turquoise Kona solid for the binding which co-ordinates nicely with the bicycles fabric on the back of the quilt. 



I used my drunkard's path rulers and lots of my colourful scraps to make this circles quilt. I quilted in the ditch between each quarter circle block as well as a diagonal cross hatch through the circles.  To finish the quilting, I added two rows of quilting around each circle. I used a blue solid for the binding.  Finn assisted with sewing both bindings down by hand. 




In my previous post, I showed pictures of my RSC blocks for February and March but did not have a picture of my pink scrappy blocks.


I was measuring out some rope for another rope basket and Finn decided to help. 


I used some variegated thread that was given to me in a goodie bag at a quilt show years ago to sew this basket.  It is a lot bigger than the ones I made at the retreat in the previous post. This one is 8.5" in diameter.  The smaller ones were 4.5" in diameter. I like the way the variegated thread looks on the white rope. 



I used a different variegated thread and some purple Kaffe scraps on this one. 


My daughter has been working on her Ottawa cross stitch a bit over the last couple of weeks.  More of the buildings are becoming recognizable.  The green building at the bottom is the National Art Gallery.


I have been adding flowers and a couple of carrots to my Spring cross stitch picture. At this rate, it might even get finished in the Spring!


Finn had a spring in his step when we took him for a walk one day this week.  He loves the sunshine!


I was happy to see that my witch hazel bush was in bloom early this past week.


And then, on Friday, it snowed again.  The only good thing about snow in March is that it melts quickly!


Finn is looking forward to warmer weather when he and I can sit outside and read a book in the sunshine. 


 I will link up with Kathy and the slow Sunday Stitchers in the morning.  I will do a post early next week about my favourite quilts at QuiltCon. 

14 comments:

  1. Congrats for 2 beautiful finishes, Gail!!
    The bowls are cool and looks like fun to make,I like the look of the varigated thread. The cross stitched projects you and your daughter are stitching looks better every week. Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunshine puts a spring in my step, too. Poor Finn.....snow will do that to you! The two quilts are lovely; especially the Circles pretty. Your daughter's cross stitch is zooming along and your rope basket is cool. Your springtime bunny gets more adorable with each new stitch. Hope the snow stays away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of those quilts are beautiful. I like the backing fabrics that you used for each of them. I am glad Finn has been helping you with your binding and rope bowls. Your latest bowls are really pretty. I like your daughter's cross-stitch and yours too. I hope you get more sunny Spring days for walks with Finn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What pretty, cheerful quilts you managed to squeak out from your rainbow scraps. I love the bicycle backing too! Spring will be here before you know it, Finn. Just give it a little more time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pink scrappy blocks are inspiring as I’m considering making a scrappy, possibly crumb, quilt. Bike fabric for a backing is a much better choice than a solid color in my humble opinion. Someday I would like to visit Ottawa. Finn is a helpful crafter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your daughter’s cross-stitch project is great, and your bunny stitch is adorable! I was interested to see witch hazel flowers! I was uneducated in what or where is witch hazel!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray for two pretty finishes! You found the perfect backings for them. Your bunny rabbit is so adorable - love the carrots! I'm ready for reading outside on the porch, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is always lovely to finish quilts. Love your daughter's Ottawa cross stitch. Ottawa is one of our favourite cities to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on the two beautiful finishes. I love the rope bowls. We have been constant rain recently and something called an atmospheric river. We are on flood watch until Wednesday again. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What beautiful finishes! I love how you quilted that first one. It adds great movement. The bowls are beautiful and love seeing Finn 'helping' you out at every step! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the circles quilt, especially the spotty back. Both cross stitch projects are making great progress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your circles quilt looks fabulous. Such lovely fabrics that you used. And your sweet bunny stitch is as precious as can be. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So much eye candy this week! Congratulations on finishing two RSC quilts. They are beautiful and I love the way you have quilted both. I’m very intrigued by your rope baskets, really effective with the variegated thread. And your Easter/spring cross stitch is gorgeous! Sarah quilting by the sea

    ReplyDelete
  14. PS Finn is gorgeous too!sarah

    ReplyDelete