Friday, July 21, 2023

Rainbow Scrap Challenge, Sunflowers and Battle Harbour, Labrador

This week, for the first time in a long time, I spent some time sewing every day!  In the sewing room, I worked on my light blue (June) and red (July) blocks for my Rainbow Scrap Challenge projects.  I now have 8 pineapple log cabin blocks completed.  I am aiming for 12 blocks for a wall hanging. I really like working on these scrappy blocks...the fabrics bring back all sorts of memories of other things I have made for us as well as gifts given to and received from friends and family alike. 




These 6.5" square slabs are made from my smallest scraps which I store in plastic shoe boxes by colour. 




I was making great strides on my counted cross stitch sunflowers until I discovered I had not counted correctly and had to take out a bunch of stitches...  I am back on track now and working on the top right quadrant of the picture.  (I will fill in the missing stitches on the top left sunflower when I get to that colour on the one on the right.)


My husband and I went blueberry picking this week and froze most of them, leaving enough out to eat fresh for the next few days.  


I went walking in my neighbourhood after it rained the other day and the sun came out, illuminating the water droplets on my neighbour's hosta flowers.  



Finn had a haircut this week...  Here is a picture from before the haircut--he was doing one of his chores--the prewash cycle of the dishwasher!!
 


And after the haircut...his ears always look very floofy after a haircut and blow dry!


While on our Newfoundland vacation in June, we took a ferry to Labrador where we spent a night at Battle Harbour.  It was an amazing place, where the people who hosted us told the stories of generations of their families who lived and worked in the cod fishery.  After the 1992 cod moratorium (due to dwindling cod stocks), several fishermen were trained to be historic restoration carpenters and the buildings and homes were restored to their former glory as a living museum which hosts guests like ourselves for an immersion experience like none other.  Here are some pictures from our visit to Battle Harbour:

Our guide, Janice, explained how cod nets worked. In the second picture, she showed us how the cod were processed for salting, storage and shipping.  Janice spent her summers as a child at Battle Harbour. 



An iceberg in the distance. 


We stayed in a room in the Merchant Building. 



Most of these buildings are private homes but some are accommodations for guests. 


This is the church where Janice was baptized. 




Delicious, made from scratch meals were served in the dining hall which used to be used to store fish waiting to be shipped. 


My husband and I took a couple of hikes around the island. 







It was chilly but we had the right clothes with us to keep warm. 






Can you find me in this picture?


At one time, the cod were bigger than a small child. 




Battle Harbour was certainly a highlight of our trip!  If you are ever going to Newfoundland on vacation, consider a side journey to this magical spot in Labrador. 

I will link up with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge and Slow Sunday Stitchers on the weekend. 

16 comments:

  1. that sounds like an amazing travel journey - great quilty blocks

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks like such a wonderful place to explore - full of history for sure

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing photos from your trip. It's wonderful to see places I know I'm not likely to visit in person. Love those RSC blocks with that grey background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had lots of fun catching up in your sewing room this week! I love those pineapple blocks especially. Your sunflower cross-stitch is such a pretty design - so sorry you had to rip some out. Battle Harbor sounds like a fascinating place to visit - thanks for sharing your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are going to have some really pretty quilts when all of your blocks are made! Thank you for sharing your vacation photos. What a special place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My father almost had an assignment to Goose Bay, Labrador, but it got switched to Korea. He was so disappointed. I'm sure he would have been out & about exploring and probably might have ended up in Battle Harbour. What a great trip you had and your quilt blocks look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing your vacation photos. I know nearly nothing about Newfoundland or cod fishing. I really like those pineapple blocks. It will make an awesome wall hanging!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was so interesting to read about your holiday, and about cod fishing. You must gave had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pineapple blocks are gorgeous! Thanks for the fascinating photo tour of Battle Harbor.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do like those RSC blocks! And your cross stitch is looking so nice. Great photos from your trip too. Your pictures of Finn always make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the travel pics and captions. That light blue pineapple block is so pretty. It is great to use fabrics that bring back memories. It looks like Finn is very helpful. I didn't realize how small he actually is. The pic on the dishwasher door gave me the perspective. Enjoy your stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing photos! So glad to see that I am not the only one who has a prewashing dog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great projects you are working on. I love your stitching. My daughter has 3 pre-washing dogs. Thanks so much for showing your vacation pictures, they are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your blocks, full of pretty scraps and cute details. The blue seaguls, and frogs, are fun! Congratulations for sewing every day ;)
    It looks like you had a wonderful time visiting Newfoundland.
    Thank you for sharing, and linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for the travel photos. I know nothing about that area and spent some time looking up to learn more. BTW, the pineapple blocks are lovely. Really liking the light blue!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your pineapple blocks are stunning with the grey background. Beautiful!
    You took some great photos of Newfoundland. You have a good eye for framing a view (but perhaps you are photographer?).

    ReplyDelete