Saturday, October 28, 2023

An Update

My husband and I were away for a little over a week recently and I managed to get some more stitches done on my sunflower cross stitch in the car on our way to Colonial Williamsburg, in Virginia. I am not going to be able to finish this picture before the end of the month as I had originally hoped, but I'm ok with that.  One of our (unintended) souvenirs from our trip was two cases of COVID.  We tested positive before leaving Virginia so it was a long 12 hour trip in the car to get home.   I'm still really tired so not much stitching is getting done!  We had both avoided getting COVID up until this time. 


 I have done a little bit of knitting over the last couple of days.  The ribbing on my hat needs to be 4.5" wide and I am at 4" now.  Soon, I will be moving onto a patterned section of trinity stitch. 


On our way to Williamsburg, we stopped at Watkin's Glen State Park in NY for a rather damp but scenic hike.  Thank goodness for rain gear!






At Colonial Williamsburg, I saw a beautifully embroidered woman's pocket.  The top of the pocket had a drawstring which was tied around the woman's waist with the pocket worn under her skirt and accessed through a slit in the side seam.  No one except the wearer would see the gorgeous handwork. 





One of the gardens had these gorgeous magenta flowers which the bees loved. 


Finn says hello!  


I will link up with Kathy and the Slow Sunday Stitchers in the morning. 

8 comments:

  1. That was bad luck getting covid after avoiding it up to now. Wish you both better. That emroidered pocket is beautiful. Looks like you are on the last part of your sunflower project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are both feeling better after Covid. Your stitching is wonderful. Enjoy the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Colonial Williamsburg. I spent many summers there as a child. I have always wanted to travel there again at the beginning of December when there is a cross-stitch event. That embroidered pocket is gorgeous. So sorry you caught Covid. I hope you recover quickly. Your cross-stitch and knitting look pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry about the Covid. Hope you both get to feeling better soon. The embroidered pocket is gorgeous! Continue to love your sunflower project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry you got Covid after all this time - not a very nice souvenir of your trip! Hope you feel better each day. Isn't Watkins Glen State Park a neat place? We visited in the fall of 2015, and also had a very damp hike in the Gorge - but so beautiful anyway. Amazing embroidery on that woman's pocket - hard to believe it would be hidden away like that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My how I love that bee on that gorgeous coloured flower. And that embroidery is so beautiful too. Such handwork. That's a neat place to visit. Yes I guess Covid is still around. We've managed to stay away from it to date. Hope you feel well fast. Pats on the head to Finn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh such lovely photos of your trip; I am so sorry to hear that you both came home feeling poorly. I do wish you a very speedy recovery. Covid certainly drains one doesn't it? Your stitch is looking fabulous. Have a very lovely day and give Finn a pat on the head for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was such a delight to meet you in Williamsburg and connect over our love of quilting, fiber arts and genealogy stories. I’ve enjoyed looking through your blog posts and love your work. It’s so sad that Covid ended such a nice weekend. Bet you were glad to get home - what a hard drive that must have been 😩 Hope you both have returned to health. You’ve inspired me to get into my “studio” and create! Thank you. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete