Thursday, November 30, 2023

My Second November Quilting Retreat


Christine and I attended the annual November Crafter's retreat at Camp Kintail this past weekend.  We both love these weekends away to get lots done on our current and new projects.  I just noticed that a lot of my projects are green in this post...  I made this I Spy HRT quilt top at the Oxford Guild retreat early in November and managed to get it quilted and bound at the retreat.  I finished off the hand stitching on the binding at home this week. 


I found this fun green and white striped fabric in my stash for the binding. 


The backing fabric was also in my stash, but as you can see below, I did not have quite enough of the dotty fabric so I added in a couple of strips to make the backing big enough. 


Christine also quilted a baby quilt and added the binding at the retreat.  With us is Mary, a knitter, who also attends the retreat each year. She was making socks for her brothers for Christmas. 


I made the last two pineapple blocks for my Rainbow Scrap Challenge project...gold and dark green.  I have not sewn these blocks together yet but you can see my 12 blocks below. 



My green hat is just about done--I just have a bit of the seam to finish sewing up and then I can wear it!


I have started my scarf to match...I found an easy pattern on Ravelry.  knit 2, knit one in the back, pearl one.  Rinse and repeat.  I like the texture! The scarf will be a lower priority over the next while as I work on Christmas gifts. 



I finally quilted my Whistlestop quilt, a pattern by Christine at Tessalated Quilts.  I made the top a while ago and just never got around to quilting it until now.  Again, more green!


I chose to do some orange peel and straight line quilting with my walking foot.  I added the binding at home this week and will work on the hand stitching this weekend. 


Here is a cute picture of Finn as a brief break from all of my project photos!


Camp Kintail was decorated for Christmas, inside and outside.  This is the path from the building where we were sewing to where we had our meals. 


As I said in my last post, I put my sunflower cross stitch aside and have started a Christmas project.  It will not be done for this Christmas but it is fun to work on a seasonal project at this time of the year. 

My modern sampler quilt has most of the backing pieced with fabrics leftover from the front of the quilt as well as other fabrics from my stash. I have one more piece to add at the top and then I can take this to the long armer.  It is a twin sized quilt and too big for me to quilt on my DSM.


Another view of the path through the woods at Camp Kintail!


This quilt is an Elgin Piecemakers comfort quilt for a chemo patient at our local hospital.  Lynn put the blocks together and I am doing the binding.  I have lots of slow stitching to keep me busy this weekend!  I made the boat block in the bottom row of the quilt. 


I will be linking up with Kathy and the slow Sunday Stitchers on Sunday morning, as well as the Rainbow scrap challenge folks on Saturday morning and at Frederique's blog too on Saturday.  I am off to work on some Christmas gifts.  Yikes! It is December 1st tomorrow!

18 comments:

  1. looks like a nice camp and nicely done up for the holidays. Love all your projects that you are working on

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful place for a retreat. You got a great jump on your projects. Going with a friend is always a bonus too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that photo of you at the machine. That's a keeper. You have a lot of fun fabrics in your first green quilt. How fun to go to a retreat...envious here. Lots of lovely stitching keeping your fingers busy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a good photo of you sewing! That HST quilt has really caught my eye. What a terrific look, and it's an I Spy too. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like the retreat was lots of fun, and you were really productive there as well! I love the HST I spy quilt, and all of your pretty green projects. The new cross-stitch design looks perfect for the season. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all those green projects! It looks like you had fun at the retreat, and made a lot of progress on your WIP. I love your creative backings too!
    Thank you for sharing your beautiful work, and linking up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you had great fun at your quiltingfegreat, lots done with friendly company.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Green! What's not to love? Looks like you and your friends had a fun and productive retreat! Nice finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The retreat looks like a really nice place. You certainly were productive during your time there. I'm impressed with your machine quilting. I can do a stipple on my domestic sewing machine but can't do anything more complex than that. The comfort quilt is very nice. Someone will really love it and it will be a big comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many beautiful things! I love the sound of the retreat it sounds like something I would really enjoy. I love your knitted hat the yarn is a lovely colour. Finn is so sweet such a handsome boy. Have a great Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an wonderful blog post. I loved seeing all of those projects. The quilts are beautiful and I love the pineapple blocks. What a pretty setting for your retreat. Finn always makes me smile. Enjoy your slow stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks like a great place to have a retreat! You got so much done and I'm thinking you love the color green. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a gorgeous place to go to work on your beautiful quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like a wonderful place for a retreat! You have a some great projects and finishes. In answer to your question on my blog, our quilt show is in April next year. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the binding on your Hurty quilt! That quilt is a lot bigger than I imagined, once I saw your holding it! What a beautiful campgrounds and place for a retreat!!! I love the archway all lit up and the stone pathway! And yes, Finn is the cutest and happiest looking pup!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your retreat location is so pretty! And you were very productive! What a lovely photo of you at your sewing machine - you are looking younger every year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It sounds like you had a lovely time at the retreat. Love the stone pathway . Your I Spy quilt is gorgeous and a fun design. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. nice to go away and work on so many projects! It does look a nice place for your retreat. I love the I spy quilt with the green and Finn is always gorgeous! Sarah quilting by the sea

    ReplyDelete