Saturday, February 10, 2024

Stitching Report

You may have noticed I was missing in action last weekend...I was visiting my daughter and Finn for the weekend!  Finn and I hung out together while my daughter participated in a curling bonspiel. He didn't mind snuggling up to me as I did some cross stitching.  We went for a walk every day too. 


I have added three more motifs to my winter cross stitch project.  You can see the cardinal and the pinecone above and this week I finished off the evergreen tree. 




There were very nice sunbeams in the afternoons while I was visiting.  Finn took full advantage of them!


You may remember that I replaced the binding on my daughter's University Quilt at Christmas time.  I finished hand stitching the new binding while I was at her place.  This is a well loved quilt!


Here is a picture of when this quilt was new in 2009. 


Finn approves of the repairs that I did. 


A friend has four grandchildren and she wants to make quilts for each of them using leftover fabrics from PJ's that she has made for them over the years. She brought the fabrics for the first one over one night last week.  I showed her how to make a disappearing nine patch block.  We figured out how many squares she will need of each fabric and she will get them all cut out and sewn into nine patches over the next couple of weeks.  Then, we will get together again to figure out the layout.  She has lots of flannel chunks that we can piece together to make the back of the quilt.  Once this quilt is done, we will figure out a design for the next one.  There are lots of fun winter themed fabrics in this quilt. 


I added the border to my crumby stars quilt top and I purchased a piece of flannel to use for the back. I have some ideas floating around in my head about how to quilt this using my walking foot.   Stay tuned. 


I have another quilt underway but can't share anything about it yet in case the recipient is lurking here.  I will be working on it this week to get it done before the deadline. 

Another picture of Finn... I hope you are not getting tired of seeing him!


My daughter's mystery cross stitch is coming along. Finn doesn't mind being a cross stitch model. 


I celebrated a birthday this past week.  Finn and my daughter sent me flowers.  There have been three restaurant meals with friends and and family--with one more extended family dinner tomorrow.  I am feeling well loved. 


Happy Valentine's Day to everyone.  Someone decorated a tree by the walking path with hearts this past week. 


 I made this at a recent retreat. It is on our mantle. 


I will link up with Kathy and the Slow Sunday Stitchers in the morning.  This is a group of bloggers from around the world who share their hand stitched projects each week.  We all encourage and support each other as we slowly make progress. The link to Kathy's blog is in my sidebar. 

13 comments:

  1. neat flowers - happy birthday - Finn is adorable. Love the star quilt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely birthday flowers. Hope your daughter did well at the tournament. The crumbly stars border nicely frames the blocks. Although you were MIA, it appears you still had a productive week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday for last week Gail. Beautiful flowers as well. Finn is so photogenic I would never get bored of seeing pictures of him! Your projects are lovely and I like the idea that your friend is making quilts from the fabric she used to make them pyjamas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neat projects. The well loved quilts come back for replacement parts, it happens in our family too. Finn is a great companion and a very Happy Birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday, Gail! I bet you enjoyed your time with your daughter and sweet Finn. I love your Christmas cross-stitch - the colors are so fun. I'm enjoying seeing your progress on each project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very Happy Belated Birthday to you! The flowers are so beautiful! I am so glad to hear that you got to visit your daughter for the weekend. Your stitching is looking fabulous. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Belated Happy Birthday, your flowers are beautiful. Your crumby stars quilt is lovely I can't wait to see the next step. It sound's like you had a lovely visit with your daughter and Finn he is gorgeous. I love the fabric your friend is going to use for her grandchildrens quilts they are going to be so bright and cheerful. Happy Valentines Day to you too have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tired of seeing pictures of Finn? No way!! Lol! Your cross stitch is really coming along nicely. I love that cardinal. Happy Valentine's Day to you too along with belated birthday wishes. You truly are well-loved.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday! Your cross-stitch is great and I enjoyed seeing all the quilty photos. Of course I am never tired of seeing Finn. Your daughter's cross-stitch is looking great also. Happy Valentines Day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How nice you and Finn got to hang out together. Happy, Happy Birthday to you, lovely Gail. How wonderful you were spoilt, and rightly so. Beautiful flowers. That border looks great dancing around your crumby stars. Fabulous idea of if your friend making quilts from all the pyjamas she has made over the years. You two will have fun designing these quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy belated birthday to you. I'm a great believer in making birthday celebrations last as long as possible. How nice you got go spend some time with Finn and your daughter. It's always so nice to see photos of him., he is such a loving dog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday Gail! I'm so glad you feel well loved :) We never get tired of seeing Mr. Finn and he obviously loves you! I smiled the whole time I was reading your blog - thank you for that! I'm so glad you were able to repair the beautiful and well loved quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I'm sorry for being so late to visit, and to wish you a happy birthday only now! The pyjamas quilt is going to be cute and cozy.
    Thank you for sharing last week!

    ReplyDelete