Thursday, July 23, 2026

Hand Stitching

I did not touch my sewing machine this week.  Not even once!  I did, however, do quite a bit of hand quilting and hand appliqué.  I did the first lesson of the Moon Trees Class with Jo Avery on the Threadhouse Academy and managed to get one block made.  The background fabric is a piece of Essex Linen.  The yellow tree is Fableism Sprout and the print is from Tilda. I plan on making more of these blocks with different variations of trees.  The next online class will teach me how to do this.  I'm using 80 wt thread for the appliqué and the stitches totally disappear. 


I finished quilting the centre square of my round robin quilt this week and started on the second set of orange and dark green triangles. I'm not sure what to quilt in the wider blue strips so if any of you have any ideas to offer, I am interested in hearing what you think. 



After being away for a week at the cottage, my gardens needed some serious dead heading and weeding. I did a bit each day this week and things are looking more shipshape now. There are lots of colourful flowers in bloom, both annuals and perennials.   Echinacea or Purple Cone Flowers have spread themselves around and I need to do some serious thinning of these plants...not right now when they all look so pretty. 


Orange Echinacea


Black Eyed Susans


Lantana (These are in a pot on my patio--one of my Australian readers told me these are considered to be an invasive weed there.)


Scaevola


Finn and my daughter have been here this week.  Finn likes to keep an eye on what is happening on the street from the back of the couch.  They will be leaving to go home soon. 


Finn and I had some time on the patio this week.  I was reading a book until someone came along for an ear rub. 


 The book blanket has had another row of squares added this week.  Only four more rows to go.  Finn was doing a good job impeding progress one evening this week.  He is very good at claiming all the blankets!


I will link up with Kathy and Frederique on the weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment