It's been a couple of weeks since I have blogged. There has been a lot going on and this will become apparent as you read today's post. First, I have made a bit of progress on my fall cross stitch project. The cardinal is done and more leaves and branches have been added. I love the colours in this picture although I am not sure a tree exists that has such a variety of leaves on one branch!
I finished off one of the donation quilt tops I was working on. I need to buy a backing fabric as I have nothing in my stash that is suitable. I went to my local (small) quilt store yesterday only to find out they have moved and do not reopen until later this coming week so this project is on hold. I don't have enough of the dark blue background fabric to add borders so this is the size it will be.
I made more blocks for the second donation quilt and have about 40 more blocks to make. I have already filled in some of the holes in this picture. I will likely need to buy a backing for this one too.
We spent several days over the last couple of weeks helping our daughter move to a bigger apartment. Finn has been quite confused by all the packing and unpacking but he will settle in nicely once everything is unpacked and put away. I brought home my daughter's quilts for some repairs so she has a quilt on her bed that I made for her a long time ago with leftover fabric from flannel pyjamas that I made for her when she was younger. It is not quite big enough for her bed but will do until I get the other ones repaired. Finn always approves of any blanket or quilt.
While out on my morning walk, I met a new friend.
Every year since my Dad died, my husband and I go to the local ice cream place and get some black cherry ice cream on my Dad's birthday. It's a fun way to remember him.
This past week, my 96 year old mother in law passed away peacefully. As you can see, she also loved ice cream and our excursions with her always included a stop at an ice cream shop. I made her many quilted gifts over the years and she always had my wall hangings, table runners and quilts out on display in her home and in her room at the nursing home. I loved her dearly and will miss her every day. I was blessed with a wonderful mother in law.
Condolences on the passing of your friend, your dear mother-in-law. I absolutely love the idea of continuing the tradition of black cherry ice cream on your father's birthday. It truly is a great way to reminisce about him. Finn is such a sweetie and your cardinal looks great on his branch of many colors. Wishing you a peaceful weekend.
ReplyDeleteIm sorry to hear about your MiL. It's a great photo of you both. Hope your daughters move all went well. I love the fact you enjoy an ice cream on your Dads birthday and a lovely memory. Sarah quiltingbythesea
ReplyDeleteWhat a productive couple of weeks — finishing off a donation quilt top and piecing blocks for the next one is such generous work. The fall cross-stitch pieces are lovely, and the tradition of black cherry ice cream at the local shop is such a sweet tribute. I am sorry to hear about your mother-in-law; that photo of you both is wonderful. Thanks for sharing so many glimpses of your sewing life.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry to hear about your mother-in-law's passing, Gail. Going out for ice cream has also been one of my mom's favorite things to do. Finn looks a bit worried about things in your photos, but I bet he'll be just fine as long as your daughter's there with him. The woven look quilt top that you're waiting on the backing for is a beauty! I love those colorful leaves on your cross-stitch, too!
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry to hear about your Mother-in-law passing,may Lord confort your heart. Love your cardinal cross stitching project.
ReplyDelete