Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Cancer Patient Quilt

Quite a few posts back, I blogged about a charity quilt that Beth and I have been making for a cancer patient at our local hospital. I belong to a small guild called the Elgin Piecemakers. In the past we have made placemats for Meals on Wheels. This year, we decided to pair up and each pair was to make a quilt which will be donated to the hospital for a cancer/chemo patient. Beth and I picked a modified Bento Box as our pattern and dug into our stashes to come up with enough fabrics. We purchased the flannel backing and had it quilted by the husband of one of our guild members, who offered to quilt all of the quilts, 9 in total, for a deeply discounted rate. I picked up the quilt last week and tonight, I sewed the binding on while my daughter and I watched "So You Think You Can Dance". Here is a picture of the completed project.



Next week, we are having our last meeting of the year and everyone is bringing their completed charity quilt for show and tell. I am looking forward to seeing everyone's projects. In the fall, we are going to pair up with another guild member and make another quilt for the hospital. I hope this quilt brings warmth and comfort to someone in our community.

This quilt is a lap sized quilt, about 4' by 4'.

3 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful quilt. And, how nice of you to make this quilt for a cancer patient. You will certainly bring good cheer and comfort to the recipient of this quilt.

    Thank you for sharing this quilt with us, and for making this for such a good cause.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! What size is the quilt? Bed size or lap size? Victoria Quilts Canada has guidelines for quilt sizes for cancer patients that you could have a look at. Two friends and I make quilts for people that have life-threatening illnesses and we used their size suggestions for our quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a wonderful idea to pair up with another guild member to make something for charity. Your project turned out wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete