Each year, the Elgin Piecemakers Guild issues a challenge to their members. This past year, we were given a piece of insulbrite thermal batting and asked to make something for our kitchens using scraps. On Thursday night, we met in person for the first time in ages and revealed our projects. There were oven mitts, hot pads, a casserole carrier, tea cosies, etc. Many in the group used selvages in their projects. I decided to raid my denim stash (from old jeans) for my lasagna pan hot pad. I have a large orange lasagna pan and always have to use more than one hot pad under it, but not anymore! It was fun to use improv piecing for the top and I found a fun fat quarter in my stash for the backing.
The perfect size for the orange dish! I used 28wt orange thread for the quilting.
I finished the quilting and binding on my Down on the Farm charm square quilt this week. It even has a label! I used the extra backing fabric for the binding. Another baby quilt ready for gifting!
Since I have finished 3 UFO's in the last month, I decided to give myself permission to start a new quilt! Last Spring, I made a Modern Handcraft Snowflake quilt for a friend. I used red and white prints for the background and made the snowflake with Kona White. I have wanted to make myself a snowflake quilt too and since the Modern Handcraft Blog
is holding another "Snowalong" this year, I joined in! This year, Nicole Daksiewicz has added instructions on how to make a Buffalo Plaid Snowflake quilt. After looking at all of the possibilities in my stash, I picked these fabrics for my quilt and got all my cutting done. The gray fabric is Essex Linen and the red and black fabric is Kona. The white with the light gray dots will be used for the snowflake.
I have made two blocks so far and have started a third one.
I made a new hat this week too. I received this variegated wool for Christmas last year and found a pattern that I thought would work. I made a swatch and it was the right size so I started knitting.
I had to switch to double pointed needles for the top of the hat.
This is where the hat went off the rails---I tried it on at this point and it was so big, it went over my face! I ended up tearing it all out and now I have to start over with fewer stitches on the needles! Good thing that it is a chunky yarn and knits up quickly!
My daughter did a bit more stitching this week.
Finn had a friend over to play today. He was not so sure about having to share my daughter with another dog! My daughter looked after Brick while his "Mom" was moving.
Late Breaking News!!! Dubrovnik is done! While Finn was napping, worn out from his company,
my daughter put in the last few stitches!
I will link up with the Slow Sunday Stitchers at Kathy's blog in the morning. I hope to start knitting my hat, again!