Sunday, November 14, 2010

Creating a New UFO

I have had Bonnie Hunter's books, "Scraps and Shirttails" and "Leaders and Enders" for a few months now. I have been admiring the quilts in these books and trying to choose which ones I would like to make someday since the books arrived in my library. After much contemplation, "Blue Ridge Beauty" in the "Leaders and Enders" book won out!  I spent some time in the summer reorganizing my stash so I pulled some 2.5" strips from the drawer--blues and neutrals, put them into a plastic bin along with the book and started to sew. I decided to sew the strips together and then cut them into 2.5" twosies instead of piecing 2.5" squares together (more work to cut up all the strips into the squares).

I spent some time this weekend ironing and cutting these strip pairs into the twosie units. I am not quite done yet. I need to make about 250   448 (Yikes!) four patches so this will take a while. I will just putter away at this project when I have a little bit of time. (There are lots of HST units (448!) in this quilt too.)


You can see from the first picture that I am in need of a new ironing board cover as well--this is on my list of things to do. I have the padding to go underneath but have not got the fabric for the top yet. This picture shows the "good" end of the board--the other end is in shreads--not pretty.

5 comments:

  1. Love the title of the post. I hope you fget this one finished as it looks great in the book. Can't wait to see your version

    Love and hugs Gina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm making that quilt too! And mine is a UFO also! It's another long term commitmenet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great colors - can't wait to see how this UFO comes together. An ironing board cover - do you have a pattern? I need one too, but hate to go out and buy when there's all that lovely fabric just waiting to be used. Blessings, Peg

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm making that quilt too LOL This is sounding like a recording eh? Mine is a UFO too!! But, it's designated for my niece when she gets married and she just started University this year, so that could be a bit yet. It's a great quilt. I did already finish one...a blue and white one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking forward to seeing how this project turns out - I've been humming and hawing at Bonnie's books for a while too.
    And what is it with ironing-board covers? I'm like you - mine always seem to look a disgrace, but it seems to be impossible to buy one that can withstand the rigours of being ironed on!

    ReplyDelete