Friday, November 14, 2014

Quilt Show Awards


Almost a month ago, the London Friendship Quilters Guild held their biannual quilt show. I was asked by the organizing committee to make the awards for the winning quilts in each of 5 categories for the show. The design was up to me and I took my inspiration from the advertising shown above.  Earlier in the year, each member of the guild was asked to make a 9" London Roads block for a quilt which would be raffled off to raise money for our Outreach Projects.

I decided that I would make a smaller version of this block for the awards.

I made these during a Saturday sewing day with some friends but was not allowed to show them as the prize design was to be kept a secret...  I used a different red fabric in each of the blocks.  I found the fabric in my stash.

At the time, I could not remember if there were 5 or 6 categories, so I made 6 blocks to be on the safe side.  Another member of the guild with an embroidery machine was asked to do the next part of the awards.
 
 

This past Thursday night, at our November meeting, the awards were presented. I took some pictures of the awards before they were given out at the meeting.  The guild blogger will be posting pictures of the quilts that won in each category on the LFQG blog. You can get to the blog on my sidebar.

Here are the quilts that I entered into the show:

My pinwheel table runner is on the bottom left.  (The quilted pumpkin won in the other quilted item category)

My wonky house was in the miniature category.

The liberated squirrel quilt was in the wall-hanging category.

Another wall hanging--the red and white round robin quilt.

I had a few quilts in the bed-sized quilt category including the Lazy Sunday Mystery,

 
Swoon,
 
 
The 9 patch mystery,
 
 and Great Granny's Stash.
 
My "Sewing Baskets" selvage quilt was also in the wall hanging group.
 
 
I did a demo on the Saturday Morning of the quilt show on making quilts with selvages. I had over 20 quilters watching the demo and asking lots of questions. They were shocked at the size of my selvage collection...I need to make another selvage quilt, obviously.
 
I am in full Christmas gift making mode now so I won't be able to show the things I am currently making until after December 25th.  I have two gifts made and 3 more to make. I hope to have some time this weekend to work on my snowman runner too.
 
Until next time, happy sewing!
 
 
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. The awards are delightful. As is the quilting, especially like the swoon, the black fabric certainly makes each block pop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your "ribbons" are wonderful, anyone would be delighted to have one! I love seeing all your productivity, as always, I LOVE that Sewing Baskets Selvage Quilt, what a beauty ~
    :-}pokey

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much eye candy here ...all lovely quilts and the prize work as well. You are one productive lady! :)

    ReplyDelete