Monday, March 2, 2015

Purple Donations

The Elgin Piecemakers have had quite a bit of fabric donated to us for our charity quilt projects in the last year.  We have used up some of this fabric for chemo quilts but at last Thursday's meeting, some time was spent sorting out the fabrics into "possible project piles". Each member was invited to take home a pile and try to make a quilt top from the fabric. Here is the pile I brought home:


I had four fat quarters of the purple flower border print, several different sized pieces of purple solids and about a fat 1/8th of the green and purple polka dots. 

On Friday night, I decided to start cutting into the fabric.  I used only the purple and green flower border of the fat quarters and cut it into squares.  I then cut the purples and the dots into squares as well.  I used the squares to make 9 patches (sorry--I got carried away with sewing and forgot to get a picture of the nine patches.)  I cut up the nine patches to make lots of these pieces...

 
 
I sewed again on Saturday night--at one point I sewed for about 20 minutes with no bobbin thread.  This was not very productive!

Between Saturday night and tonight, I put the rest of these blocks together and then searched through my stash for some green fabric for the sashing. I did not have enough of one fabric for the sashing so I decided to use two different green pieces for the sashings.

 
 
A close up of one quadrant:
 

 


I finished piecing the entire quilt top except the borders tonight. I hope to add the two purple borders tomorrow night. 



Wow!  That was a fast quilt top!

On the way home from work the other night, the sun was setting over the snow covered fields.  I snapped a couple of pictures with my phone.





I am thankful for longer days and some warmer temperatures in the weather forecast...

4 comments:

  1. Great quilt!! And fast, too! It would have been even faster with bobbin thread in place. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How creative and quick. I love the longer days especially since the sun has come out and it lights up my quilt room as it is setting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those disappearing Nine patch blocks! And I can't even say how many times I have run out of bobbin thread but continued oblivious of the fact. I don't know why sewing machine makers can't install some sort of little bell or buzzer to say the bobbin is empty - I'd pay extra just for that accessory!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this combination of purples and greens -- one of my favorites and a very nostalgic combo for me, too! Very nicely done!! :)

    ReplyDelete