Saturday, March 26, 2016

Progress and Some Slow Sunday Stitching

My crocuses are in bloom so it must be Spring!  The daffodils are in bud but no flowers yet...maybe by next week.

I have spent some time most days working on my daughter's graduation quilt.  I finished the first half last week.

This week, I have been working on the mirror image which will go to the right side of the half shown above.

2/3 of the second half is done.  Only 10 more rows to go.  With any luck, I will be able to finish this off this week.  I still need to get some fabric for the backing --my daughter wants a flannel backing.  I have ordered a new 40 yard roll of batting.  I have run out again...I find it easier to just buy a roll and then I don't have to keep going out to buy batting.  This will be my 4th roll...


I took my chicken quilt to Cathy at Eagle's Wings quilts a few weeks ago and picked it up yesterday.  Today, I did a poll with some friends to see what colour I should use for the binding.


After all the votes were counted  (6 people weighed in with their opinions...), red won!


This afternoon, I machine sewed the binding to the front of the quilt. Tomorrow, I will do the hand sewing for my Slow Sunday Stitching with Kathy and the other hand stitchers.


I know this picture is upside-down, but it shows the custom quilting that Cathy and I decided on...

There are eggs quilted into the chicken wire border.


With any luck, I should have a finished quilt for show and tell at our Elgin Piecemaker's Guild meeting on Thursday night.

6 comments:

  1. Bringing back a memory, your chicken quilt is similar to one I made years ago with chicken blocks won at a guild meeting drawing. I put chicken wire fabric as sashing too. Great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the chicken quilt... cool quilting by Cathy!
    Enjoy your hand stitching today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty flowers and pretty quilts, what more could a person ask for? Love the chicken quilt and the red binding looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The chicken quilt is very cute! Good luck finishing off your daughter's quilt, it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful spring flowers! The red binding looks great. Hope you get it done in time to show off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Daffodils are almost over here! Still lots of beautiful primroses to see though :) I love the quilting in the chicken, it really suits the feathery feel! The red was a great choice too.

    ReplyDelete