Tuesday, November 15, 2016

It's an Elephant Parade!

I attended a workshop taught by Lorna from Sew Fresh Quilts last week.  Lorna designs wonderful quilts, mostly with cute and whimsical animals on them.  She was the speaker at our London Friendship Quilter's guild meeting last week and brought along lots of quilts to show us.  She admitted to being a bit obsessed with quilting... (I don't know anyone else with this type of obsession...LOL!)


My favourite animal in this one is the squirrel! 



More squirrels...



How about some cute puppies?



This one is called Elephant parade and it is the pattern I chose to work on during the workshop.



I chose a yellow fabric with polka dots as my background.  These are my bluebirds of happiness...they were supposed to have tails that matched their bodies, but I used creative licence and left them as is.



The turtle was fun to make...I have used the dotty fabric in his shell in several quilts and still have some left for another quilt.  




I am using black and white prints for my elephants.  All of the fabrics were from my stash.  The bicycle elephant is my favourite.



This one is a cut-up....



Circles are fun! 



Here is one facing the other way.  I made 6 elephants, three facing right and three facing left.  I will use the extra one for a label on the back of the quilt. 



I managed to get quite a bit done during the workshop. 

Christine was there too and is also making the elephant quilt. She picked a turquoise background and gray prints for her elephants.  



Lorna spent time with everyone in the room and by the end of the day, it was a real zoo with all the different animals being made!  I went home and made three baby elephants and a frog.  I have put this project aside for now as I have another one with a deadline that needs to be met.  You will find me in my sewing room this week...



There is only one baby in this picture and my frog and turtle still need eyes.  

Back to the sewing room now...

11 comments:

  1. Wow, fun! Really sad that I couldn't attend the workshop :-(. Love making those animals. Can't wait to start Katie's flower quilt. Hope to get background soon and then I can get started. Good job on the elephant parade...I've made all those animals for pillows, but haven't done the quilt - yet :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been one of Lorna's readers for sometime now. I have a bird pattern of hers but haven't started -- I have too many ideas waiting in line!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such fun! So glad you had a great day with the guild ladies!
    Love the bicycle elephant and the scissors...FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! I like your bicycle elephant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your darker elephants they give a nice contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had such a fun day with you and your guild, Gail. And I really admire your fabric choices for your blocks. This is going to be such a lovely parade!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hadn't thought of using some of my fun prints for the elephants. I'll remember this, when I finally start my Elephant Parade quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Lorna's patterns, and I love your elephants. I've made them, too. But I haven't finish the quilt yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you, I love Lorna's patterns, I have the squirrel one and a fox one too but haven't made them up yet. So jealous of your design wall, it's lovely.

    ReplyDelete