Monday, June 18, 2018

Comfort Quilt Blocks

My husband was out at a meeting tonight so, after supper, I ventured down to my sewing room to play with fabric.  The Elgin Piecemakers' June meeting is next week and I wanted to make my teal and silver grey block ahead of time so that I am not in a rush at the last minute.  I decided to make my block with 16 HST's and here is the design I came up with on paper first and then with fabric.


The teal fabric has been in my stash for a long time and the grey is Essex linen. I like how there are flying geese going in two directions depending on which way you look at the block.

My husband was still not home, so I decided to make a second block for October.  The assigned colours are yellow, grey and white.  For this block, I pulled out a new book that was just recently added to my quilting library:  Modern Plus Sign Quilts by Cheryl Brickey and Paige Alexander.



 I have been following Paige's blog for a while now and she and I often comment on each other's projects.  While admiring the quilts in the book, I came across "Message in a Bottle", which was designed to be a baby quilt.




I decided to get out some graph paper and draft this quilt into a 12.5" block using the colours for October's Comfort quilt.  Here is my block. My plus sign is not quite as chunky as the one in the baby quilt. It seems appropriate that I did some math to make my plus sign block...


Paige and Cheryl are hosting a Modern Plus Sign Quilt along.  One of the quilt designs has already been revealed on Paige's blog here.  They will be announcing sponsors and prizes later this week and the fabric requirements and additional layouts will be revealed on July 7th.  The sewing fun begins on August 2nd.  My friend, Christine, and I will be joining in on the fun and hope that you will too.  It will be interesting to see all of the different fabric and colour choices coming to life as we quilt along with Paige and Cheryl.


1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy to see Modern Plus Sign Quilts will be added to your bookshelf! Gail, your smaller version of Message in a Bottle makes a nice block! And, great to have you and Christine join the Modern Plus Sampler Quilt Along!

    ReplyDelete