Saturday, January 26, 2019

Preparing for the Coming Home BOM

As I told you a couple of weeks ago, I have signed up for Sarah Fielke's "Coming Home" Block of the Month (it is actually a medallion quilt...) 2019.  She sent out an email this week to everyone participating recommending that we each make a Block Book to keep our appliqué pieces in as we work on this quilt.  She sent us the link to a short video explaining how to make the book.  


I had just purchased a set of 4 sewing themed fat quarters earlier this month so I decided to use them for my book.


This project used up almost all of the fabric... I only have a few small scraps left.


I used the sewing machine fabric on the back of my book and for the  pocket on the inside of the front cover.   I had to add green strips to the side of the sewing machine fabric to make the pocket big enough.


There are 5 pieces of fleece for the pages which will hold the appliqué pieces.


Inside the back cover, I used the thimble fabric.


The green ribbon will be used to tie the book shut so the appliqué pieces stay secure inside when the book is shut.   I also added handles so I carry the book easily.


My daughter has been adding some more stitches to her Prague cityscape and I spent some time with Frank this week as well. I have turned the corner...


Finn enjoyed some fresh snow this week.


I will link up with Kathy and the other Slow Stitchers in the morning.

11 comments:

  1. Love your book, great idea to add handles, I'm hoping to make mine this week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a wonderful way to keep your applique blocks & pieces straight. Perfect fabric selection too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your block book! I have yet to make one. What did you use for the pieces to make it stiff?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought a piece of foam core board at the art supply store.

      Delete
  4. Love your block book! I want and need to make a block book with a larger size and have googled for a tutorial without success. Would you please share the link to the short video on your construction technique that Sarah shared with you if you can?

    ReplyDelete
  5. great idea with the "book" keep things flat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! Love your daugther stitching and love Finn's picture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That book to hold the applique is great. I love how the two cross-stitch projects are looking. Finn is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of a block book! Thanks for sharing that with us...yours came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect fabric for your block book. Such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a creative sewing project! It would make a great gift idea. Love it! www.njeffersonltd.com/

    ReplyDelete