Saturday, July 18, 2020

Taming the UFO Pile

My goal for the next little while is to tame the UFO pile.  I have made lots of quilts during this COVID-19 pandemic but most of them have been gifts for friends and family.  Now that all those gifts are done, it is time to tackle the UFO's.  First up this week, was borders and backing for the batik Scrappy Trips quilt that I started earlier this year.  I had to purchase the fabrics and then wash them before ironing, cutting and sewing. 



The backing was done with one seam and then I took it to the long arm quilter's house.  She let me know today that the quilting is done so I will pick it up tomorrow.  This one will be donated to our local hospice and will be washed a lot so the binding will be applied by machine...no hand stitching. 

Next up was my Tula Pink 100 blocks Modern Sampler quilt.  We had to move all of the furniture in the living room so that I could lay this monster out on the floor to make the backing. 


It took three widths of fabric for the backing and I found the perfect fabric in my stash for the label.  The turquoise accent piece beside the label matches one of the colours in the backing. I will write the information  about the quilt on the label before it is quilted. 


The London Modern Guild is having a fabric post card exchange so I made my post card this week.  I will put it in the mail this week.  I don't know the person that will be receiving this postcard so I can show you what I made. 


The third UFO of the week was started 3.5 years ago.  I signed up for a broken dishes block swap with Barb at Fun with Barb and the blocks have been in a zip lock bag all this time, waiting for inspiration to hit.  This week, when I was out for a walk, I got thinking about the blocks and an idea came to mind. 

I made four blocks like this:  


I am still figuring out what I will put between the blocks and as a border...stay tuned...this top should be done by next week. I am still contemplating quilting ideas as well.  I bought Jacquie Gering's book Walk 2.0 this week so I may peruse it for inspiration. 

I finished my green facecloth last week and started a new dishcloth --I am using a new pattern this time.  So far, so good.  The pattern is showing up as expected!  I will be doing some more knitting tomorrow for slow Sunday stitching with Kathy and friends. 



We finally had some rain this past week so the gardens are flourishing.  





Finn is getting his hair cut this week so here is a picture of him before the appointment.   Such a cutie!


Take care!

9 comments:

  1. Great job working through those UFO's. Why do we end up with so many? I have been working my way through a pile myself :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your garden! I need to water all of my plants more the sun is making some of them get pale colors and fading. I have quite a few quilts to spend more time on - I have been slowly trying to get through all of them this year while I start a few new things too

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have done a great job finishing things up. Pretty green face cloth and love the design of the new dish cloth. Pretty flowers growing in your gardens. Happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden pictures are gorgeous. It has been so hot here that the flowers are struggling. You have made great progress with your UFOs. I am trying finish some things up also, but your dishcloth photo got me thinking that I should try making one sometime. Uh-oh. Looking forward to seeing Finn when he is trimmed and his eyes are showing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are making great progress on the UFOs!
    Love that Tula sampler quilt!
    And your new green dishcloth has a wonderful texture with the combination of that variegated yarn and the stitching!
    Thanks for linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great bunch of projects, and congratulations on the progress you have made on your UFO's Love your gorgeous flowers. I just bought a small coneflower myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your motivation to get your UFOs finished! Love the border on your scrappy trip it's perfect! Nice yarn for your dishcloths too. Finn is a real cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun post. I love your Tula Pink blocks. They are so playful and fun.
    Your broken dishes look great and I love the photos of your garden. Your balloon flowers are goregous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Tula sampler is wonderful. I really like the two tone grey background. Wonderful flowers. I had purple coneflowers but something happened and now they are yellowish. What are the blue bell shaped flowers?Finn must be a little lighter after his trim!

    ReplyDelete