Saturday, August 21, 2021

Another Hat and a Quilt Top

I had started the second hat last week on our way home from the cottage, and managed to finish it this week.  I will need to make pompoms for both of these hats--my friend, Christine, has a pompom maker that I can use. This yarn is super chunky and the hats are thick and warm--the bottom bands are turned up so they will keep the ears cozy on a cold day. 


 During my sewing room time this week, I finished putting this quilt top together.  The rust colour really brightens up the brown, tan and cream swap blocks.  I had over 150 swap blocks and the top used 81 of them.  



I have pieced some into 4 patches for a strip on the back of the quilt.  The rest of the back will be the rust fabric.  I will use one of the blocks for my label for this quilt. The extra swap blocks will be put aside for another project later. 


We had Finn out for a walk in Port Stanley one evening this week.  Finn and our daughter will be going home shortly. 


My quilt top is Finn approved!  He thinks some of the brown squares match his fur. 


I took a few pictures of some flowers in the garden this week.  Our clethra bush is in bloom and I took a few close up pictures of one of the flower clusters.  When I looked at the pictures later, I noticed one of my pictures was photo-bombed by a tiny flying insect.  



The wasp's nest in the tree in our backyard is huge now with lots of wasps buzzing around.  It is bigger than a basketball now. They have not bothered us but I am looking forward to when they move out for the winter and we can get rid of the nest. Hopefully, they find a different spot next year!


We have three colours of phlox in our garden--white, coral and purple.  You can also see that the black eyed Susans are putting on a show at the moment as well. 





For Slow Sunday Stitching this week, I will be starting the embroidery on this kit that my daughter gave me for Christmas.  I traced the pattern onto the material this morning. I will link with the other slow stitchers in the morning at Kathy's blog. 


12 comments:

  1. Gosh your garden is producing some beautiful blooms. Finn is such a handsome fellow and your quilt looks fantastic. Happy Stitching :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A quilt finish, what an accomplishment! The stocking hats are so cute, the new embroidery project looks like fun to stitch. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your garden photos. Those hats look so warm and cozy. I like the rust fabric with all of those swap blocks. Finn is adorable as usual. Looking forward to watching your progress on that pretty embroidery. Enjoy your stitcihg!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty quilt! Gorgeous flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a beautiful embroidery design - looks like it will be a fun project! It echoes the pretty blooms in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That will be a lovely stitchery to work on in the fall and winter when the outdoor blooms are long gone. Finn looks like he's having the time of his life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your finished hats look like they will be very toasty! Nice flower photos especially with the insect. I do love your new project. How do you get such a clear outline when you trace the pattern? Mine never look like that! Finn seems pleased with himself standing on your nice new flimsy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your hats and quilt top are lovely. I love your new stitchery project. Finn is his usual handsome self!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your hats... and your quilt finish looks like fun... those wide sashings would be fun for some big stitching in dark brown too! If you plan to hand quilt it... The embroidery your daughter gave you is so pretty ... I hope you enjoy stitching on it today and feeling accomplished! Finn is darling :) Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you enjoy making pom poms as I have. A pom pom maker is very helpful. The hats look great and will keep heads and ears warm. Nice photo shoot of Finn on quilt top. Good use has been made with the majority of swap blocks. The photo-bombing bug makes the photo look more natural. Gorgeous flowers. Initially, I thought embroidery design was pre-made. Awesome tracing job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love your posts. So many pretty projects, whether embroidery, knitting, or quilting. Finn always steals my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That rust just sets the blocks so well. Beautiful! And the flowers are beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete