Saturday, November 13, 2021

Retreat Report

 Last weekend, I attended a quilting retreat, my first in two years.  Everyone in attendance was double vaccinated and our tables were spaced apart.  I brought along 4 projects plus some mending to work on over the three days of the retreat.  My husband gave me a nifty folding cart for my birthday in February 2020 and this was my first chance to use it since I got it.  With the cart, I was able to bring in all my sewing stuff in one trip as well as my overnight bag. 



My first project was my Buffalo Check Modern Snowflake quilt top.  By the end of the first day, the top was together!  I have already purchased a flannel backing for this quilt so I will be able to take it for long arm quilting soon. 



Next up, I worked on my black and white colour block quilt top.  I made these blocks a few months ago and they got put aside for some reason--it was time to get them made into a top!  I chose to make the sashing and outer border with a fuchsia cross-stitch print.  I like the way the black and white blocks look like a checkerboard. There are all kinds of interesting prints in the little squares that make up each block.  I have chosen a backing for this quilt from my stash, and will quilt this one myself, after Christmas gifts are made. 

I took a break from quilting and shortened two pairs of pants for myself next.  A friend pinned them for me.  I used the extra fabric that I cut off the bottom to repair a hole in a pair of jeans that my niece ripped while climbing a fence.  



Back to quilting!  I brought along some Christmas prints that I bought a couple of years ago.  I had started a project with them at the last retreat I attended and then they never saw the light of day again until last weekend.  I managed to finish off a wall hanging and then did the quilting and binding when I got home.  Here is a sneak peek at this project which will be a Christmas present so I can't show the whole thing. 



I made a pompom for the hat I showed last week, and started a new knitting project this week, another gift. I got started this morning on this gift while I was attending an online seminar on Zoom. The knitted snow person also saw some progress this week. 



I spent the remaining time at the retreat cutting and organizing the blocks and sashing pieces for my lupin quilt.  You may remember me showing my lupin blocks months ago--I got stalled on this quilt when I stopped to make a bunch of gifts.  I would like to have this top put together and to the quilter before Christmas.  I made 4 more lupin blocks at the retreat:


My husband and I crossed an item off our bucket list this week--we got to ride in a combine at a family member's farm while he was harvesting corn. It was a beautiful day and lots of pictures were taken. 




We went hiking at a local conservation area on Tuesday morning and enjoyed a colourful walk in the woods. 




I will link up with Kathy and the Slow Sunday Stitchers in the morning.  I hope to do some more knitting tomorrow. Have a great week.   Finn says hello!

14 comments:

  1. that is a neat fold up cart for your retreat and so nice that all were vaccinated. It looks like you had great fun and love those outside photos too - that shelf fungi (or whatever it is called lol) is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fold cart is so neat, it sounds you have fun and a great retreat time. Beautiful top quilts, the Fuschia was perfect for those black and white blocks. Great outside photos. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were very, very busy at your retreat. All of those projects are wonderful. Your nature walk looks very pretty and peaceful. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like the retreat was a good one and you got lots done! I love your Buffalo Plaid Modern Snowflake. A beautiful hike, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had a busy time at retreat but just look at all those things you accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How great you were able to get away to a repeat and make such progress on your projects! I love that Buffalo Plaid Modern Snowflake! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Retreats are always fun, and you got a lot done. The trolly is a marvelous idea, here's hoping to be able to use it agsin many more ti es in the future. Love the black and white quilt, such a great idea! I'm saying hello back to Finn from across the seas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great cart hubby got for you! That could be really handy hauling things from the car to the house......
    Lots of great projects happening in your area.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Retreats are THE BEST! What a thoughtful gift your husband gave you. That cart will be used for a good long time! Love the hat!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your retreat sounds like heaven and a really nice finish with your snowflake quilt! How exciting to cross something off your bucket list too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why, hello Finn! That cart looks fabulous; lots of room to fit all that is needed for a retreat. Your Buffalo Check Modern Snowflake quilt top is really striking and I love the fuschia coloured fabric with those black and white squares. You certainly got a lot achieved this past week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Buffalo Check Snowflake is fabulous . Great job on getting it pieced. It sounds like you had a great retreat. Loved seeing how you repaired the jeans too. That gives me an idea for some repairs of my own that needs to be made. Have a great week and happy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Quilt retreats are fun especially when you have a nifty cart to load and unload sewing stuff. Your colors coordinate well with buffalo check snowflake quilt. Farms are so interesting. Pretty time of the year to be outdoors. Looking forward to seeing complete Christmas quilt gift.

    ReplyDelete
  14. hope you had a great retreat!
    love your snowflake quilt.
    we farm corn in illinois and I'm always amazed by the machinery

    ReplyDelete