Thursday, March 2, 2023

Sewing to and from QuiltCon in Atlanta

My husband and I drove to Atlanta last week so I could go to QuiltCon.  This was my second time attending this great gathering of modern quilters from around the world.  My friend, Christine and I went to the 2019 conference in Nashville, but unfortunately, she was unable to come this time.  As you know, I like to sew in the car to stay awake on long car trips and this trip was no exception.  I did quite a bit of stitching on my Spring picture. I forgot a couple of floss colours at home so the holes will be filled in soon. The rabbit is almost done and I have started working on the flowers.  I love the bright colours in this piece. 


Speaking of Spring, it had arrived in Atlanta before we got there for QuiltCon!  We spent an afternoon at the Atlanta History Museum and wandered around the grounds where there were lots of flowers in bloom. It was warm, 23 degrees Celsius, and the sun was shining.  









What better way to celebrate Spring than ice cream from Jeni's?  This is by far the best ice cream I have ever had.  We went to Jeni's when we were in Nashville too.  It seems to be a QuiltCon tradition...  I had Brown Butter Almond Brittle and Darkest Chocolate ice cream.  Yum!


Of course, I did a little shopping at QuiltCon.  





My orange fabric drawer was quite depleted so I added some more fat quarters to my stash as well as some dots and some fun neutrals.  I'm looking forward to trying out this new ruler and I've wanted to try making some rope baskets for a while too. 

While at QuiltCon, I noticed several people were sporting Quilty fashion items--jackets and bags.  Here are a few that caught my eye. 








I have a jean jacket in my closet that I don't wear very often...perhaps I will add embellish it with quilting and I can wear it to quilt shows...  

Of course, there were lots of wonderful quilts at the show too and I will show my favourites in a future post. Christine and I are off to a Guild Quilt Retreat this weekend. It may take a few posts to get caught up on all of the quilting news!  I will link up with Kathy on Sunday morning for Slow Sunday stitching.  I have packed my cross stitch to work on at the retreat. 

Take care. 

15 comments:

  1. looks like you had a good time when you headed south - I hope the weather was great for you as it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely cross stitching. Great that you got to attend quiltcon. That bag is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've made a lot of progress on your Spring picture. Those flowers are so pretty. I've been wanting to try my hand at the rope baskets also. Maybe when I don't have any items that have deadlines. Thanks for all the quilty clothing photos. It sounds like you had a good trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. QuiltCon sounds like it was wonderful. Some fabulous purchases there. That ruler looks interesting. . Cross stitching in the car sounds like a wonderful idea. Your rabbit is looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gail! So glad you enjoyed quilt con… your home brewed ice cream looks delicious! So do all the flowers already blooming!!!
    Enjoy your new purchases! I’m very interested in your ruler too!
    I hope your guild retreat is fun!
    Your cross stitch got lots done on your trip to quilt con :). How long was your trip
    Kathi
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had a fun trip. Quilt shows are a great destination. Coincidentally, I have had Jeni’s ice cream as a treat while visiting a quilt show in Ohio several years ago. I thought it was the best ice cream as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a treat to see so many pretty flowers! We are still covered in snow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad Spring was in Atlanta too! Thanks for sharing the real flower photography and all the “quilty” apparel. Wow! I am not able to cross stitch in the car. I can crochet or knit, but no stitching. Not sure why exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great adventure to QuiltCon! The flower photos are amazing! I also enjoyed seeing all the quilted clothing... so creative! Have a fun retreat and say hi to Christine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you had a great time at QuiltCon. The flower pictures are beautiful! I also enjoyed seeing the quilted clothing. I hope to make something along those lines one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you had a really fun trip to Atlanta, Gail! Sightseeing, ice cream, and quilty delights - what could be better? Hope you're enjoying your retreat, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun and nice trip to Atlanta. I'm surprised you can embroider while traveling. I am unable to do this. Enjoy the retreat.
    Have a nice week, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How nice to see pretty spring flowers!
    Thanks for sharing the fun quilt fashions. I like the label coat and back of the jean jacket. I have a white vest I should do something with. Looking forward to seeing the quilts you liked.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Its always so nice to attend a quilt show. And to find a few "must buy" items to take home. I enjoyed seeing your photos of the pretty Spring flowers you found.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jeni's Brown Butter Almond Brittle is one of the four flavors my daughter sent me for my birthday! I haven't tried it yet ... busy eating the Gooey Butter Cake flavor right now. Great pictures. When we lived in Florida, we visited Atlanta a few times and always had a good time.

    ReplyDelete