Saturday, July 29, 2023

Guild Sewing Day

I have not attended the weekly Oxford Guild sewing day since before we went to Newfoundland and finally went this past Monday.  I like going because I get a lot done and there are lots of friendly quilters to chat with as I sew.  I usually bring a UFO that I want to move to the finish line. The last time, I worked on my Overlapping Tiles quilt that I started 9 years ago in a class with Kaffe Fassett, and since it is still not done, I brought it along again.  I managed to get all of the diagonal rows of squares sewn and now they just need to be sewn to each other to finish off the top.  I will be trimming the sides of the quilt when it is pieced.  (note that some of the diagonal rows are not lined up correctly in this picture, but they are not sewn onto the quilt yet so that it will be fine when it is together.)


I seem to be in the mood to finish off some UFO's at the moment...  I pulled out a quilt top that I started in a class with Libs Elliott in the fall of 2019.  I finished the top in 2020 and it has sat in a drawer waiting to be quilted since then.  I decided I would take it to a long armer for custom quilting so I found some backing fabric in my stash, attached the label and cut a piece of batting for it. I delivered it on Friday and will likely get it back in September.  Here is a picture of the quilt top.  The pattern is called "Weight of Love". 


I forgot to get a picture of my cross stitch sunflowers in daylight so this picture, taken on my kitchen counter, looks a bit washed out. I will add some more stitches to this project tomorrow for Slow Sunday Stitching with Kathy. 


I have not had time to sort out any more Newfoundland pictures this week but will try to get some more ready to show you next week.   

Finn looks very skinny since his haircut.  


He wants you to know that he has no idea how that piece came off his toy. 


I bought an orange coneflower for my garden last year and this week, it bloomed!  There are lots of buds on it too.  I just love a pop of orange in the garden!


Christine and I have plans to get together to sew this week.  Maybe, I can get that overlapping tiles quilt top done...

8 comments:

  1. You always have nice projects on the go! Your sunflower cross stitch matches your new plant. Finn definitely looks half the dog he was! Sarah quilting by the sea

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Overlapping Tiles design is such a neat one! It looks challenging to keep all the pieces in order while you're sewing those rows together, but you're almost there. I love the sunflower cross-stitch, too - so pretty! Look at those little legs of Finn's - he's such a sweetie. Have a lovely Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tiles quilt looks like a complex layout! I love the bees on your sunflower piece! Good for you for getting the Libs top done... that is another very challenging quilt design!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sunflower cross stitch project is looking lovely, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your sunflower project. Finn does look so skinny, but he is his usual adorable self!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Tiles quilt looks pretty, how nice to work on UFO and see them coming along! The cross stitch is a wonder, bright and so pretty.
    Cute Finn ;))
    Thank you for sharing, and linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tiles quilt is so pretty. I like Weight of Love also. Finn looks very skinny and so cute. Your cross-stitch is looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you working on UFOs - I am doing that too (or trying). The orange coneflower is beautiful! I've never seen one before. Oh Finn - he does look so tiny with his haircut. He didn't mean to hurt his toy....

    ReplyDelete