Saturday, November 18, 2023

Architecture Class, Borders, Sunflowers, Christmas Bazaar and Knitting


Last Saturday, I took a zoom class with David Owen Hastings.  For the project, we were to each choose a picture of a building or structure to inspire our quilts. My husband and I visited Dunnottar Castle in Scotland a few years ago and I took lots of pictures there. The castle is mostly a ruin and my picture was of the end wall of the chapel.  We then used some paper frames to zero in on a particular part of our picture,  drew a pattern and made the quilt using three shades of solid fabrics and a pop of colour. 


Adding some walking foot quilting with various colours and weights of thread made my little quilt come to life.  I still need to add facings...maybe this week, that will get done. 


At the guild sewing day, I added the final borders to my modern sampler quilt.  It will fit the twin sized bed in the guest room perfectly!   I will be figuring out a backing and then taking this one to my long armer. 


Our church Christmas bazaar was today and I was asked to quilt this baby quilt top which was purchased at a thrift store for $3.  I stitched in the ditch around the rocking horse and around the light blue parts.  The backing is minky and I managed to finish it without any puckers!  The binding is a yellow and white stripe which a friend had in her stash. 





I have started the decreases on the top section of my hat.  It should not take very long to finish this off. I will be working on it for slow Sunday stitching tomorrow. 


A few more stitches were added to the Sunflower cross stitch this week.  I really want to put this aside and work on my Christmas picture...


There have been some cold and frosty mornings around here lately!


Finn is such a happy boy!  He decided that mid walk was a good time for a belly rub!


 

I will link up with the Slow Sunday Stitchers at Kathy's blog and with the Quilting Patchwork Appliqué blog.  Have a great week!

9 comments:

  1. that castle ruin is wonderful to see! And love Finn as always

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the outcome of your zoom class! Clever concept. That was a great find in the charity shop. It's nice to think it's been finished and will hopefully go to a good home. Finn is always gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your modern twin quilt. That baby quilt was quite a thrift store find. I am glad you finished it. Finn is so funny. Always makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your architecture quilt is very organic. It is really shaping up and that pop of aqua was perfect. Great job quilting it AND the baby quilt. I've never tried Minkee bc I hear it can be difficult. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a neat project to take a section of the old castle and turn it into a quilted piece. It turned out beautifully! The sweet baby quilt looks wonderful all quilted up, too. Enjoy your stitching today, Gail!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The $3 bargain top has turned out beautifully with your quilting, well done. And well done too on your art piece I havent done anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like you had a lot of fun during this class, the photo and the quilt are beautiful, and I love how you quilt it too. Cute baby quilt, you did great with the quilting and the binding!
    Sweet Finn ;)
    Thank you for sharing, and linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So nice to see your Modern Sampler quilt again. And how cute is that rocking horse which you quilted so lovely. But not as cute as that Finn...what a face!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your inspired quilt and the quilting!!! Great idea and interpretation!

    ReplyDelete