Saturday, March 23, 2024

Yet Another Retreat...

 It's true.  My friend, Christine and I have attended two quilting retreats in March, two weeks apart.  (We won't mention that we were away for a week at the end of February at QuiltCon in Raleigh, NC...).  This is the end of our quilting retreats for until November, when we have two more. We are both very productive on the retreats and manage to get lots of sewing done.  It's amazing what you can accomplish over the course of 2 1/2 or 3 days of concentrated time with no cooking, dishes and other distractions!  I spent most of my weekend making quilt backs, pin basting and quilting a wall hanging and two baby quilts. 

This is the rabbit wall hanging I made for my MIL in the process of being quilted.  I used my Hera marker and a quilting ruler to mark one of each of the pairs of lines.  The second line was 1/2" from the first one. The up and down quilting was done with light green thread and the horizontal lines with the blue thread you see on the machine. I finished it off with the binding made from the same fabric as the narrow border.  This has been gifted already and is hanging up in my MIL's room.  She likes to show it to people when they come into her room. 



I bought a panel to make a quilted baby book recently and sewed it together at the retreat.  It has been gifted to a baby that is due in April. 



The walk between the building where we sewed and the building where meals were served was beautiful!




I sewed this quilt top at the previous retreat and quilted it at this retreat.  The binding was added at home this week. There is a baby in mind for this quilt.  She is due in May. The backing is the same as the background fabric in the crumby stars quilt I showed on my blog last week. I had to add a pink stripe on the back to make it wide enough. The turquoise binding fabric was in my stash.  




The scrappy nine patch quilt was quilted with a simple cross hatch through the white and gray squares. Again, the backing fabric was not quite wide enough so there is a strip of light orange added to make it work. I added the green binding at home this week and I'm in the process of hand stitching it to the back of the quilt. 





Our knitting friend, Mary, and I went down to the beach to see the sunset. 


I received some money for my birthday in February and purchased a kit to make a "Sew Together" bag at QuiltCon featuring fabrics with a New York City theme.  I started sewing it at the retreat and hope to finish it this coming week.  


Spring is being a bit fickle this week and so, in anticipation of a snowy forecast for Friday, I cut some daffodils and brought them inside for my table.  



Finn was not happy about the snow.  He likes to lay outside in the sunshine and it has been too cold to do this for the last couple of days.  Thankfully, most of the snow melted today and it is supposed to be warmer this coming week. 


Someone added some Easter decorations to a tree at the park where I walk each morning. 


Finn loves this little squeaky chicken ball.  It is not round and bounces erratically which makes the game even more fun. 


I bought a freshly baked pretzel at the farmer's market this morning...doesn't it look like it is ready to kiss me???



I will link up with Kathy and the Slow Sunday Stitchers in the morning and with Frederique at her blog. 

8 comments:

  1. A lot was done during your retreats, and all your quilts are beautiful. I love the little bunny, and I see your Mom displaying it proudly! Nice quilting, and cute backings.
    Thank you for sharing for beautiful quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds as if you had a great time at your quilt retreat. The bunny is really cute and using lovely spring fabrics. The soft baby book will be much appreciated I'm sure. I know Amber played with hers a lot and now it's been handed on to her brother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and your friend are having fun! Goodness you achieved a lot while away. Your mother-in-law's bunny quilt is gorgeous. The quilting is marvellous. Love both the baby quilts and the fabric book. It's so much fun sewing for little ones, isn't it??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your retreats sound like fun, Gail, and you always get so much done! Love your MiL's bunny, and I bet she does, too. The pink and turquoise baby quilt is so sweet! I love daffodils - none blooming here yet, but hopefully soon. Have a wonderful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is a lot of sewing done at the retreats I'm sure you had fun. That would be too much sewing time for me - I'm up and down constantly when I sew and don't like to sit so much for long periods

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great accomplishments at your retreat! Love your MIL's bunny! I have a day retreat Thurs-Sat this week, where I come home at night. I need to get my projects together the next couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've done so well with your projects at the retreat, nice go see all these things that you have been working on. MILs bunny wallhanging is wonderful, how nice that she is proudly showing it off to all sho pass by her room.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely finishing on that adorable Bunny. And your other stitching is wonderful too of course. You are very productive at the retreats and how nice to share the experience with a pal. Back to very cool temps here but a few green shoots are poking up. No snow though which is great.

    ReplyDelete