Saturday, April 20, 2024

Cozy Flannel Scraps

I keep all of my flannel scraps in a large tote bag and when the bag starts to overflow, I make a scrappy flannel baby quilt to tame them.  Last week, I showed the crumb blocks I made at a sewing day with my guild and this week, I put those scrappy blocks together to make a baby quilt top. I have enough of that darker blue left to make the binding too.  When I give one of these quilts away, I always write a note to go with it with washing and drying instructions as well as suggestions to play I Spy, a matching game or to learn colours.  I also say that I will repair the quilt if it starts to wear out or gets a hole from the stitching coming loose. So far, I have never had to repair a baby quilt I have given away.  I want the recipient of the quilt to use it--play on it/with it, cuddle under it for story time or a nap, build a fort or take it on a picnic. 


I dug into my bin of flannel hunks and chunks bin to piece the back.  All of these fabrics are leftovers from  PJ's I have made for my twin nieces when they were little.  They are now in their mid 20's. 


I sent the pictures of the top and backing to a friend and she commented that I must have made my bins emptier...nothing could be further from the truth.  They are both still full.  Larger pieces on the left and smaller scraps on the right.  I will have to make more flannel quilts...


Here are the leftover blocks from my quilt...the sourdough starter for the next one. 


A friend has four grandchildren --she saved all the leftover fabric from PJ's she has made them over the years and has decided to make each of them a quilt.  The first one is for her grand-daughter who will be starting university in the fall.  I got together with my friend this week to help her lay out the blocks--this is a disappearing nine patch quilt. She is busy sewing them together this weekend so she can use her living room again. We will get together to piece a quilt back when the top is together. All of these fabrics have a winter theme. 


I started my Lupins cross stitch this week.  I doesn't look like much yet--a friend suggested it looks like an inkblot. I've used three colours of purple so far. 


Finn was just telling me he wanted to go outside to sit in the sun when I took this picture.  His tail was wagging!


Gardens and trees in our neighbourhood are bursting with colourful blooms.  I love this time of year!










You all know already that Finn loves to be outside on a sunny day!  



I will be adding more stitches to my cross stitch tomorrow for slow Sunday stitching. 

5 comments:

  1. It's amazing no matter how many times we dive into our fabric and scraps bins, the bins still seem as full. Cute little baby quilt. There is so much to look at and keep the attention of a wee one for ages. Ahh.....the flowers that spring gifts. It is looking ever so pretty in your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely flannel baby quilt, cute prints! There is a lot to see in this one! I love that you leave a note on how to use the quilt.
    Your cross stitch looks good so far, it's fun to watch the pattern form over the stitches.
    Thank you for sharing, your work and these pretty flowers!
    Hugs to Finn too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have any flannel fabric. I never made pjs for my kids. Maybe I will start for my grandchildren. I love that you are using the scraps to make wonderful baby quilts. Your friend's quilt is so pretty. Your floral and Finn photos made me smile. Enjoy your stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh I LOVE both of these fun happy quilts. Well done, Gail. Beautiful flower photos as well. I bet the bees and butterflies are happy in your neighborhood. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely idea your friend has to make flannel quilts for each of her grown up grandchildren. They will have fun remembering the long grown out of pyjamas she made for them. Your flannel quilt looks great too. That reminds me, I have a flannel quilt, started and not finished, tucked away somewhere.

    ReplyDelete