Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Finally, some sewing time!

I have been doing lots and lots of yard work and gardening recently so my sewing machine and quilting projects have been ignored and gathering dust. Sunday night, I finally sat down at the machine and made some pillowcases which will be gifts for some upcoming birthdays and other occasions. 




I am hoping the people who will be receiving these pillowcases do not read my blog!

Christine and I got together tonight and trimmed a couple of quilts. She put the binding on hers and I prepped the binding for mine. I picked up my Roll Roll Cotton Boll from the quilter's last week and will do the final reveal once I have the binding on. In the meantime, here is a sneak peak:

It is quilted with antique red thread!

I also finished up the last few blocks for the last border on my Stars for My Friends mystery quilt...I can hardly wait to show you this quilt!  I have to wait until after our guild meeting in September when everyone will reveal their projects. I have seen a few of these quilts in progress and I am amazed at how different they all look, depending on the fabric choices.



In the meantime, it has finally rained here a few times after a long dry spell so there is lots of growing action in the gardens. My vegetable garden is looking good!  I did not even have anything planted at this time last year!  That's my shadow at the entrance to the garden. The fence keeps the rabbits out!

I have several types of clematis in bloom and here is one of my favourites...


This flower is called Scabiosa or Pincushion flower--appropriate for the garden of a quilter...

My tomato plants are growing like crazy!  I grow them in pots on the patio because there is a black walnut tree near my vegetable garden. Black walnut roots emit some chemical which kills tomato plants.


We planted a new tree in our yard this year to replace a tulip tree that died. This is a dogwood tree and it has 12 flowers this year.
That's all the news from here for now.

Happy sewing!

3 comments:

  1. My eye kept being drawn to the shadow picture on your garden. I thought it was a fun design! Time spent sewing is few and far between around here right now but I hope to catch a bit of time like you do to work on a few things. Life just seems to be too busy sometimes doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like there's a lot of the not much sewing time going around. It's been the same here. I love the picture with your shadow. It would make a fabulous silhouettte quilt, with the silhouette over some garden type fabric. Oh, did you know that you have your blog set to "no reply"? I've tried to answer a couple of comments you've left, but can't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That maple leaf fabric on the pillow case is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete