Sunday, February 9, 2014

Quilt for a Baby Girl

This quilt is for a very special baby girl who was born a couple of months ago.  The pattern is "The Stacks" by Karen Griska.  I quilted it myself using "organic quilting". 


There are lots of things to look at in this quilt.  Many have meaning for our family.  There are some sewing fabrics as well as bicycles representing some of our hobbies and past-times.


Spot the dog and Dr Seuss books were  favourites at our house when our daughter was little.


(Sorry this picture is upside-down!) The baby's family lives near the ocean so there are some lighthouses in one of the fabrics.

My husband's family had a scottie dog when he was little.  Oven mitts represent family meals together. Who doesn't love a sock monkey???


Some favourite foods are included as well.


A family member was a beekeeper and my husband is a model railroader...


The backing and binding are nice and bright!  One of the white fabrics has French words on it--my daughter is bilingual.


My husband and I and baby C holding the quilt up for her daddy to take a picture. Baby C has a good hold on the quilt too!  I did not get a close up of the upper right corner but there is some fabric with red maple leaves in that part--C's parents are Canadian but they live in the US.

I hope C and her family enjoy playing on and with this quilt for years to come!

I spent the afternoon yesterday with some friends sewing in my dining room. I worked on some charity quilts for the London Friendship Quilters' guild as well as the borders on my Lazy Sunday mystery.  Pictures to follow in a future post.

Here is my stash report for this week:

Fabric used since my last stash report:  4.2 yards
Total fabric used this year: 11.35 yards
Fabric added to the stash since my last report: 1.4 yards(birthday gift!)
Total fabric added this year: 2.15 yards
Net fabric used this year: 9.2 yards

Until next time...


4 comments:

  1. Wow, your quilt is wonderful! I love all the novelty fabrics. The abundant quilting is a cozy touch too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This quilt is beautiful! And rich. I love your low volume fabrics, too. Good start on your destashing this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun baby quilt. I am sure it will get used all the time. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute quilt! I love all the bright prints.

    ReplyDelete