Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Quilt 'Til You Wilt and a Spring Topper

 
 
Last Saturday was Quilt 'til You Wilt day, organized by the program committee of the London Friendship Quilters' Guild. There were about 20 people in attendance and the sewing machines were humming.  I worked on completing the borders of my Lazy Sunday mystery (pattern by Bonnie Hunter). First, I assembled and added the green and white HST border...
 
 
and then the purple and white border:
 
I am thinking of adding another 2" border around the entire quilt so that the points of the purple wedges do not get cut off when I add the binding.  I am just not sure of the colour yet...perhaps white.  I will think about this a bit before completing this quilt.

Next, I started a new project. I, like many others, am getting a bit winter weary, so I decided to make a Spring table topper. I had a charm pack in my stash so I pulled it out and found some co-ordinating fabrics and brought it along to QTYW. I finished the flimsy and took it home at the end of the day to find some backing to quilt it.

 
 
Last night, Jacqui hosted a QNIC (Quilting Night in Canada) and I brought my table topper along with me to quilt and add the binding.
 



I did an organic cross-hatch quilting design.  Here is a picture of the backing which I found in my stash.

Tonight, I did the hand sewing on the binding.


Tomorrow night, I am hosting the Elgin Piecemakers meeting at my house so I will be able to show this table topper at Show and Tell.  I hope that Spring is not too far off so I can put it out on my table!

Until next time...

3 comments:

  1. The BH Mystery is so cool with your borders you've shown, I'm sure I would add just one more border, too. There's no sense to do all that work and have it eaten up in your binding, plus I bet it will add strength to all the pretty piecing.
    The table topper is sure nice, I'm glad to see there was no wilting involved in your quilting ~
    :-}pokey

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the organic cross-hatching - what a lovely effect it has. Super fabrics and colours in your projects - very cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the organic cross hatching :)

    ReplyDelete