Saturday, April 19, 2014

This week's projects...

Last week, I cut out 32 light squares and 32 medium to dark squares and made these half square triangles--64 in total.

I started making Scrappy Mountain Majesties blocks earlier this week. This is a free Bonnie Hunter pattern.

Yesterday afternoon, I spent a couple of hours at the sewing machine and made some more blocks:

I really like this arrangement of the blocks!  Lots to look at in these fabrics--flowers, barn-board, fall leaves...

By the time I went to bed last night, this is what my design wall looked like...can you see the green bean fabric?  My daughter's favourite vegetable is green beans!  The sunflower fabric is leftover from a dress I made for her when she was 10 years old.

Tonight, I finished off the rest of the blocks:

This week, I will get these blocks put together and add a couple of borders. Now that I look at the picture, I see a couple of blocks I would like to move around.

I also did some hand sewing this week:

The blocks for this quilt were made by Nancy at Life is a Stitch. I assembled the top from Nancy's blocks and pieced some batting. I found some purple fabric deep in my stash that I used as backing and binding.  Cathy at Eagle's Wings Quilts quilted the quilt and I did the binding. This quilt will be donated to the London Friendship Quilters' Guild charity quilt committee for a child in foster care.  Someone is sure to love the cats in the spinning four patch blocks!

Can you see them?
 
These cats are winking at you!
 
Nice job on the swirly quilting, Cathy!
 
 
 
I have not done a stash report in ages.  As you know, I have made some purchases recently. Pam from Mad About Patchwork was the vendor at our most recent London Friendship Quilters' Guild meeting and it is futile to resist her fabrics!
 
 
 Fabric used since my last stash report: 7.3 yards
Total fabric used this year: 49.65 yards
Fabric added to the stash since my last report: 19.5 yards
Total fabric added this year: 44.15 yards
Net fabric used this year: 5.5 yards
 
 
The good news...I am still in the black and I have a couple of backings to piece soon! This should help the numbers for my next stash report.
 
 
Have a good week. Happy Easter!


11 comments:

  1. Great team work for a very worthy cause!

    ReplyDelete
  2. green beans, sunflowers and cats...put a smile on my face with morning coffee :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your fun fabrics in that mountain quilt! I'll have to remember that pattern for a male graduation quilt. Beautiful donation quilt - so neat all the teamwork to put that together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your mountain majesties quilt. What wonderful fabrics you have chosen! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Mountain Majesties quilt has such beautiful warm colours. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is really terrific!
    LeeAnna Paylor
    lapaylor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it wonderful to get that hand stitching finished. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie's Mountain Majesties pattern is on my list to make ... some day ... so many quilts, so little time! ;-) Love the donation quilt ... what a blessing it will be!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Scrappy Mountain Majesties is great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Every time I see one of Bonnie's 'mountains' quilts, I think 'man, I really need to get busy and make one' as they're always so pretty. Yours is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've got a bunch of giant HSTs that need to be made into a Scrappy Mountain Majesties quilt someday...(sigh)
    Very glad to see those kitties quilted and going to a good home - - I'm pretty sure it was YOU that taught me how to do those spinning four patch blocks.

    ReplyDelete