Saturday, October 11, 2014

A Day with Kaffe and Brandon

A few months ago, Christine and I signed up for a colour workshop (Overlapping Tiles) with Kaffe Fassett and Bandon Mably that was being organized by Chantal at Hyggeligt.  This past Thursday, I got up very early and was out the door by 7:15 am to drive to the workshop.  I had gathered up some fabrics from my stash a couple of nights before the workshop. 


I picked the colours from a piece of yellow Kaffe Fassett paperweight fabric.


The van beside me in the parking lot had this sign on the window...I could relate!


This sign greeted me as I entered the building.



Kaffe was knitting as people came in and got set up for the workshop. Take a look at his socks!


I sorted out my fabrics and set up my cutting board.  There was no sewing at this workshop. Pretty soon, Kaffe and Brandon introduced the tasks for the day. We soon got started cutting out 3.5" squares and putting them up on our design walls. After filling up the top half of the design board with tiles, we were encouraged to step as far back as possible and take a look at how the colours were working together. Kaffe talked about our "colour stories". 
 
I had originally included some gold fabrics as well but Kaffe suggested I take them down off the design wall as they did not fit in with the bright colours in my quilt.  Brandon suggested I add a few fabrics he had chosen from their fabrics--Hyggeligt had a table with fabrics for sale at the venue. At first I really wondered about his choices but once I added them in, I loved how they enhanced my project.
 
 
Kaffe and Brandon came around later in the day and suggested "Surrey" as my constant for the squares between the tiles.  I really had a hard time wrapping my head around this recommendation!
 
 
I purchased a half yard of fabric and cut it up to try it out with my tiles.  It worked!  I ended up taking out the light coloured tiles and adding some brighter yellow tiles. 
 
 
Brandon and I with my quilt.  My shirt goes with my quilt!
 
At the end of the day, we cleaned up all our fabrics and did a tour of all of the design walls around the room. Kaffe talked about each design wall. It was amazing to see all of the different quilts being created--all so different! 
 
 
Kaffe's shirt matched this one!
 
Here he is talking about my quilt.
 
 
Kaffe
 
I purchased "Shots and Stripes" the day of the workshop and Kaffe signed it for me before I went home.
 
 
Now, I just have to cut out more squares and add more columns of tiles to my quilt. I would like to make this into a queen sized quilt for my bed.
 
 
And so, now I have one more UFO to work on!  It is a good thing there is a quilt 'til you wilt day coming up in November.  I may need several QTYW days to get everything done!
 
Sew many quilts, sew little time!


7 comments:

  1. Wow, you were very fortunate to attend a workshop with Kaffe and have him and Brandon give input to your quilt. I love their bold fabrics and quilt designs. Yours is going to look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a perfect day to me. What is the name of the pattern on the front of the book. I've noticed it on a few blogs lately and really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so interesting to read about and view! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun ... I bet Kaffe is a fascinating person! I bet you were thrilled with your day!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great opportunity - I love the way they use colour and it sounds as if you learnt from working with them. Your top is very successful and should make a really lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a treat to meet Kaffe in person!! Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really enjoyed reading this post and your quilt is fab! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete