Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Sewing Day with Jacqui


Several months ago, the members of the Elgin Piecemakers each donated several 10" squares of fabric with words on them.  Jacqui had a pattern for a quilt using the squares and the donated squares would make two comfort quilts for adult chemo patients at our local hospital.  Today, Jacqui and I got together to cut the squares up and sew them back together again to make a quilt top.  We both sewed on Featherweight machines in Jacquie's sewing room. She has a great design wall which we used to lay out the pieces.

The two blocks missing on the bottom row were at my sewing machine, waiting to be put together.  I took this picture for reference in case a breeze blew in the window and rearranged our fabric pieces! 

Everything was going swimmingly until I ran out of bobbin thread...  Luckily, I had only tried to sew one block with the empty bobbin!  I was soon back on the rails and sewing again.

At this stage, we had all the blocks together and Jacqui trimmed them while I sewed rows together.

The pattern for this quilt is called "The No Waste Windmill Block" by Anita Grossman Solomon.  (The book is called "Rotary Cutting Revolution.")

There are several different fabrics in this quilt.  Here are a few close ups so you can see some of them.

I liked this one ...It says "a fat quarter is not a body part."  LOL!

 I don't think I would ever choose to put all of these fabrics together but they all hang together quite nicely in this quilt.

The border fabric came from Jacquie's stash and had pins on it.  It frames the quilt quite nicely!

We were both very happy with the finished top, done just in time for me to head off to an appointment!  We will get together again in a couple of weeks to put the second top together.  It is all cut out and just needs to be arranged on the design wall and put together. 

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a lovely, fun way to sew and you were certainly productive. I like your finished top a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute quilt -- I hadn't thought of using fabric with words! How fun! Wendy at piecefulthoughts@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like a lot of the words are oriented correctly, how you ever manage that? Love to border fabric to frame it all together!

    ReplyDelete