Sunday, December 10, 2017

London Modern Quilt Guild Christmas Meeting

Yesterday afternoon, the London Modern Quilt Guild met for their annual Christmas meeting.  There were a few announcements at the beginning of the meeting followed by potluck snacks and shopping with a local vendor who set up a table in our meeting room.  The rest of the meeting was sewing/craft time.  I chose to make a folded fabric Christmas tree ornament.


We were supposed to bring our own fabric for this craft, but in my rush to get out the door on time with my show and tell, gift for the gift exchange, food for the pot luck and tea, I completely forgot to bring the fabric.  Ugh!  Lucky for me, Mary brought along a few extra kits to make this ornament and generously gave one to me.  Thanks, Mary--you saved the day for me!


Each ornament requires 40 2.5" squares and over 100 pins.  Mary supplied the pins and styrofoam balls to each person making this craft.


Above, you can see my ornament after two colours have been added.  The same pattern is on the other side of the ball as well.


Here is my finished folded fabric star Christmas ball.  In the picture below, you can see the trim piece that hides the edges of the folded fabric as well as the silver ribbon that I used to create a loop to hang the ornament on the tree.


Our tree is up and the light are on, but the decorations still need to be added.  Our nieces have been helping us decorate our tree for the last few years but this year they are away at university so my husband and I will be doing this ourselves this afternoon.  I am still working on my new Christmas tree skirt--I just have one more section to piece and then do the quilting and binding.  I am still hopeful that I will have it done by the time my daughter is home for the holidays.

I purchased this kit at Fabrications in Ottawa last weekend and will work on it after the tree is decorated today.



I will be linking up with the other slow Sunday stitchers at Kathy's blog today.  There are always lots of inspiring links at her weekly linky party--Go take a look!

8 comments:

  1. So your guild is a day guild? I'm not terribly far away, I'll have to try to make it to a meeting sometime ☺️.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the star ornament. It sounds quite intricate in the making but so beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your Christmas star, I keep meaning to try one of these...one day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so the whole ornament is pinned to the ball but nothing is sewn? it looks really pretty

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely decoration. It sounds like you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember my Mom making something like that back in the 70's at a Home Dem meeting! What a great memory (I got to tag along as I was a little!). I'll have to look up the instructions and see if maybe I can do that with my kiddo's over Winter break! Thanks so much for the memory and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your folded star ornament, haven't seen these before!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect fabric choices for the ornament. I had no idea folded ornaments took that much fabric and pins. Let us know how you liked stitching on wood.

    ReplyDelete