Saturday, April 21, 2018

I Spy Baby Quilt


You may remember seeing this quilt top a few weeks ago.  Life has been rather busy lately (more on that later in the post) so I did not have time to quilt this top until this week.  I do my pin basting on my kitchen floor.  It's a little hard on the knees, but it did not take too long to get all those pins in place.


I started by using a serpentine stitch to quilt the sashing.


My daughter had a wooden Thomas train set when she was little.  We had a canoe when I was a child and my Dad taught me how to paddle.


My Dad played the fiddle.  Sadly, he passed away last week after a long period of poor and declining health, which is why I have not been sewing or blogging very much lately.  At his funeral, we had a fiddler play the Ashokan Farewell--you may know this piece as the theme music for the PBS series by Ken Burns about the Civil War.  I spent a lot of time with my Dad and will miss him.


My husband and I took a day to ourselves today and went for a drive --we stopped at a quilting store where I picked up supplies for three upcoming workshops. We went out for lunch and poked through some little stores and went for a walk by Lake Erie.  I did some hand stitching on the binding in the car.  You can see that I added serpentine diagonal cross hatch quilting after quilting in the sashing.  The thread matches the green sashing and binding. I hope to do some more hand stitching on the binding tomorrow.

My Dad and I

I will be linking up with Kathy in the morning.  Take a look at the projects that all of the slow stitchers are working on...

15 comments:

  1. I am sorry for your loss. That is a beautiful picture of him holding you as a baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to say goodbye to a beloved parent, may your happy memories give you comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My condolences on your Dad! Sweet I spy baby quilt you are finishing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lost my Dad 3 years ago and still miss him but I am so glad of the lovely memories I have. I think about him every day! Be kind to yourself at this sad time xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about your dad. The photo of you both is lovely though. Your day with just hubby and you sounds just right. Nice quilting on your I spy quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you mention you have your quilt on the kitchen floor and your knees ache have you seen in the gardening area of the stores little kneeling pads for working in the garden - they are usually about 12 inches long or so and an inch thick? I keep one in the house when I need to scrub the corners of the floors - it does well on the knees and would work for you while basting your quilts - so sorry about your dad I have gone through that some years ago and it is sad for sure

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those tulips in your blog heading... sorry for your loss of your dad. I really like your i spy quilt and the serpentine stitching you did... I hope you are able to enjoy the binding and focus on happy memories like the pic you shared of you and your dad... Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m so sorry for the loss of your dad. It’s good to remember times past with him. That’s a sweet quilt you made. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely photo of you and your Dad... you must miss him terribly.
    Glad you are enjoying some hand stitching and time away.
    Can't wait to see what the three classes are that you are going to take!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your I Spy quilt (on my bucket list), especially with the lime green sashing -- one of my favourite "neutrals"!

    My condolences on the loss of your father. My father-in-law went home to the Lord on Friday morning and I will be heading to London for his funeral this week. After I received the call, I spent most of Friday finishing the blocks for a quilt top I started the week before on a whim. The block is called Have Faith (from L'Fair Quilts as posted on Confessions of a Fabric Addict). Sewing is always good therapy for me, especially simple sewing when brain space is being shared with memories. I plan to gift this quilt to a friend.

    May you be comforted by your family, your friends, your memories....and a few quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh so sorry to hear about your dad :( My sister's MIL just passed 2 days ago. Her backyard is adjacent to mine and my BIL called me to meet him there as they couldn't get ahold of her...he was there a minute before me upstairs hollering for me to call an ambulance ; she'd fallen out of bed / possibly a stroke / passed the next morning :(

    Spent that day crying over her and the next day over Barbara Bush AND her but doing some sewing as well ...it's just something that is comforting to work on while we think and mourn and pray

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so very sorry for the loss of your dad. You spent much time with him near the end. Your stitching is very pretty and probably very soothing. You are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am most sorrowful to hear about your good friend and father. It is wonderful that you have good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My condolences on your Dad! Sweet I spy baby quilt you are finishing.

    RoyalRuby

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello,
    I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you were very close to your dad, and the fiddle tribute is just so touching. It brings a tear to my eyes. I am working on an I Spy quilt myself for my little great-nephew who is about to be 8 months old. It is not only fun for him, but fun for me as well finding all the different things in the quilt. {{Hugs}} and prayers for you and your family.
    ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete