Saturday, September 15, 2018

Foothills Blocks DONE and more FLW

A few stitches here and a few stitches there, and progress is made towards the finish line. I just have a few more borders to do at the bottom of my Frank Lloyd Wright cross stitch picture and then on to the outlining. With any luck, the cross stitching will be done in the next week or two.  When I get this close to the end, all I want to do is finish it! When this picture is done, I will have three completed pictures to take to the framing store to have them stretched and framed.  It would be great to have all three on the wall by Christmas time. Maybe that is a good attainable goal...


On the quilting front, I am nearing the end of a quilt I started in February...the Foothills quilt along organized by Mary Elizabeth Kinch.  I used my husband's discarded shirts as my fabric source for this quilt and have been working away for months now on the 25 blocks.  This past week, I finished the last of the blocks and purchased the sashing/border fabric.    Here are my last 5 blocks:


The brighter green rectangles were actually from one of my shirts--the rest of the shirts were my husband's.


The above block involved some ripping and in the end, I still ended up with all the geese going one way...I am fine with that...it will make the quilt more interesting to look at.  I intentionally made some of the blocks with the HST's oriented differently in regards to where I put the light and dark fabrics.


This quilt allowed me to play with different value and colour combinations that I have not tried before.


Most of the fabrics were thread dyed checks or plaids but there were also a few solid colours as well.


You might think that with all these colours and different shirts in one quilt, it would not be cohesive, but somehow, it is.   Here are all my blocks.


The flying geese took the longest of all of the parts of the blocks.  There are 150 flying geese in these blocks.


I grew rosemary, thyme, oregano and parsley in pots on my patio and I have decided to try drying them in brown paper bags.  Here is what the rosemary looked like when I picked it.  I will see how it looks in a week or two.  I have not done this before.  (I know, I should have grown sage instead of oregano and channelled Simon and Garfunkel, but I digress...)


With this picture, I am a day late and a dollar short--Kathy asked the slow Sunday Stitchers to show their favourite stitching spot and here is mine--in the gazebo in my backyard.  This picture was supposed to be shown last week or the week before... Oh well...now you know where I like to sew!

I will be linking up with Kathy on Sunday morning.

10 comments:

  1. You look very comfortable in your favourite stitching spot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your stitching spot and I really like how you used your husband's discarded shirts. That quilt is really pretty. I love following your FLW updates. I look forward to seeing it finished and framed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look very relaxed there in your favourite stitching spot. Your quilt is lovely. I love all those different patches. They look fabulous and don't they play together nicely. Such a great to fashion a quilt out of your husband's discarded shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love the stripes and plaids in your quilt. Your stitching spot looks very relaxing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your stitches are just perfect! Love those shirtings too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very close on the FLW piece. Looking forward to the finish. And I'm really liking the shirt fabrics quilt. I am casually collecting fabric for one when I can find thrift store shirts as my late hubby hated plaid shirts LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im loving the shirt blocks! Nice place to sit and stitch also. the end is in sight for FLW!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to say, yes you should have grown sage, lol! I love the blocks and am wondering what the sashing will be....I'll have to stay tuned! Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Old plaid shirts look great in quilts as do flying geese. The combination of them together is going to make for an interesting quilt. Better late than never regarding your outdoor view on the patio under a gazebo. Relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those blocks look great all together!

    ReplyDelete