Sunday, April 7, 2019

Baby Quilt Top in a Day

On the last Friday in March, I attended a workshop to make a quilt top with a panel.  I had a panel in my stash that I thought would make a great baby quilt, but alas, I did not have any co-ordinating fabrics to go with it.  I know that is hard to believe, but it is the honest truth!  So, I searched through my stash again to see if I had anything else that I could use for the class without having to make a purchase.   I found the ship in a bottle fabric as well as some other fabrics that went with it and figured that I had enough to use for the project.   (yes, the print at the bottom is seagulls wearing sweaters...) 


The navy blue solid became my background.  Since I was only making a baby quilt, the top came together quickly.


Those seagulls are so fun!


I sewed a blue and white striped border to my bottle fabric for the centre of the quilt.  I noticed part way through the day that my blue and white striped fabric matched my shirt...


The orange and white print was purchased at QuiltCon in February.


Soon the top was finished except for the final border. You can see part of one of the teacher's samples in the background in this picture.


Of course, the final border had to be orange...my favourite colour.  This was a fast way to make a quilt top...I have some ideas floating around in my head on how to change up the centre panel the next time I use this pattern.


As you saw in my previous blogpost, Finn helped me to pick out some flannel whale fabric from my stash for the backing of this quilt.


We took Finn out for a long walk at the park today.  It's a beautiful day so lots of people were out bike riding and walking.

4 comments:

  1. It looks like an interesting technique. Your fabrics all work together very nicely. I was at Quilt Con also. I wonder if we passed each other there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So satisfying to use stash for projects. I love the navy & orange combo you used. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great baby quilt. Babies like high contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a fun baby quilt and a great way to use a panel!

    ReplyDelete