Saturday, November 14, 2020

A Little of This and a Little of That

The November Modern Block of the Month pattern was released this week at the Twilight Quilt Guild blog, so I dug out my fabrics and got sewing.  The chevrons were paper pieced. The glasses fabric will appear in every block in my quilt along with other assorted dots and stripes in orange and navy.  I was afraid I was going to run out of the gray hash dot background fabric but managed to find some at a localish store and had them ship it to me. 


 I added the final borders to my Summerhill quilt from Mary Elizabeth Kinch's workshop.  I have a plan for the quilting--I just need to pick a backing from my stash and get my other sewing machine back from repair. I used lots of solid scraps in this quilt, but as is the case with all scrappy quilts, the bin still looks just as full as it did when I started. 


Several years ago, Jacqui and I set out to make two quilt tops for the Elgin Piecemakers outreach project, comfort quilts for cancer patients at our local hospital.  We managed to get one top done and the second top cut out in one day. The second quilt top was never assembled and got lost in Jacqui's sewing room, never to be seen again until a few weeks ago. It was unearthed during a deep clean and was brought to me to put together.  Each member of the guild contributed a few 10" squares of word fabric to this project--there was no colour scheme stipulated, but the fabrics all had to have words on them. I got all the pieces out of the bag and looked at the instructions for the blocks.  I spent a good hour yesterday laying out the blocks on my design wall and will sew them together this week. 


My design wall was not quite big enough for all of the blocks so I will sew what I can see so far and then lay out the final column of blocks.  The pattern is called The No-Waste Windmill and is from a book called Rotary Cutting Revolution by Anita Grossman Solomon.  The bag even has the binding all cut and a backing for the quilt as well. 

My latest knitting project, a baby facecloth with a squirrel on it, is about half done. I will work on it again tomorrow for Slow Sunday Stitching with Kathy.



Finn is excited to show off my daughter's stitching project.  Isn't he a great stitching model? 10/19 hexagons done. 


My blackwork project is very close to being done--only one more square to finish. This picture was taken earlier in the week. The colours were chosen based on what I had in my thread stash. 


Now, it looks like this:


A friend's daughter is getting married in a couple of weeks.  I gave her and her husband to be a couple of choices for a cross stitch picture for their wedding gift.  They have chosen one of the patterns I proposed and once we have the colours finalized, this will become my next project. I told them that the gift will be delivered sometime next year and they were fine with that.  We will be watching the wedding on Zoom instead of being there in person. 

I will link up with Kathy in the morning. 

10 comments:

  1. love your dog :) it is so cute. Love the stitching and other things too of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little doggie is so cute;))) Your stitchery is so lovely--I really like that pattern a lot...Chevron BOM looks like a good way to try FPP...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness Finn steals the show pretending to be Vanna!
    Love the project with the text fabrics... what a fun idea!
    Can't wait to see your new facecloth design... I hope to finish my turkey this week.
    Thanks for sharing with the Slow Sunday Stitching crew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fin is so cute and your daughters work is lovely. You have so many interesting projects on the go I love that glasses fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for getting that "text/word" quilt together!! I'm just swamped with comfort quilt projects on the go, so it would have possibly gotten buried for another few years! The layout on your wall looks good. Good memories of a fun day cutting and sewing years ago!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great projects, and face cloth. Finn is so photogenic, and your daughter's work beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the border to your summerhill quilt. It's amazing how good all those 'word/text' blocks look together, after all it could have gone either way when the brief said any thing goes providing it has words on it! Finn really does steal the show!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely a great model! Hate that feeling that I might not have enough of a neutral glad you were able to find some more! Lots of nice projects. Looks like your blackwork is worked in single strand, haven't tried that yet except for some backstitching on a few of my Santas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was wondering about the wedding cross stitch present being completed in a couple of weeks; not that you couldn't do it mind you. Finn is a sweet fellow. Love that he is such a cute model. Your Blackwork pretty is astonishing, as is your Summerhill quilt. All those little pieces of lovely coloured fabrics look amazing in those blocks. Great blocks! Love too, the cancer quilt top you have put together. Lost projects that get lost in the great abyss, always seem to be unearthed one day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hate when my sewing machine isn't available at a moment's notice but it sure will be humming along when it returns from the spa. The blackwork is really shaping up and yes, Finn is the PERFECT MODEL! Hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete