Saturday, July 17, 2021

Zigzags and some Knitting

 Last week, I had started making some HST blocks in navy, forest green and burgundy with tan as the light half of each HST.  At that time, I had thought I would need over 100 units to make the quilt I was making.  Turns out, I need 225 to make the quilt 15 by 15 units.  I churned out the 225 units early in the week and started playing with them. There are many possibilities for quilt designs with HST's but I decided to make  zigzags. The first 5 rows are sewn together and the part that's missing in this picture is under the sewing machine foot! All those seams shrink up the rows by quite a bit. This is the first quadrant of the quilt. 

The second section goes to the right of the one above and I sewed it two days ago. 


Today, I completed the third section.  Only one smaller part to do in the lower right corner now. 


You may have noticed that the quilt top is going to be 14 by 14 units--I needed the zigzags to end "down" on both sides of the quilt so I needed an even number of units across the quilt top to make this happen.  The extra HST's will be pieced into the back of the quilt.  I will be using up my scraps and hunks and chunks of green fabrics to make a pieced backing.  This quilt is a gift, made in colours that they will like. The colours in the first picture are more true to what they look like in daylight. With any luck, the top will be finished in the next couple of days and I can get to work on the back. My sewing machine will be back from repair early next week so I will be able to quilt it soon too. 

I also worked on my knitting project this week, getting the first section of cables done.  There are two types of cables in this project.  I hope to get another section done tomorrow for my slow Sunday stitching project. These double pointed bamboo needles are working well. The stitches do not slide off by accident!



Finn made himself a lovely nest of quilts one night this week and promptly curled up in a ball on top and went to sleep


My daughter did some cross stitch this week.  I see a boat and the beginnings of some buildings.  I guessed Dubrovnik, Croatia and I was right!


My husband and I went blueberry picking this week.  We froze some, saved some for eating fresh and made blueberry scones for breakfast one morning.  So yummy!





We stopped for a picnic lunch and a short hike on our way home at John E. Pearce Provincial Park. 





I will link up with Kathy and the slow Sunday stitchers in the morning as well as the RSC folks since I used up lots of navy blue scraps this week. 








8 comments:

  1. I love your zigzag project! That's a pretty color combination. Fresh-picked blueberries - yummy! Looks like you saw some lovely sights on your hike, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zigzag quilt is growing well, and it is beautiful. Those blueberry cookies look yummy.Beautiful pictures, I am sure you had fun during the picnic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous photos of your adventures! Love that snail photo!
    You inspired me with your zigzag design!
    Thanks for linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty zigzag quilt. I love the fabrics. Your walk in park looks peaceful. Those blueberry scones look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those colours work really well together! I'm impressed you guessed your daughters cross stitch city! And Finn is just adorable. Lola gets a haircut next week so should be cooler. Fabulous photos as ever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt is growing by leaps and bounds, Gail! Would you pass me one of those scones, please? They look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your zig zag quilt is lovely. Finn looks so comfortable, and love seeing your beautiful nature pictures. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pretty quilt. Looks like several pieces of Kansas Troubles (by Moda) fabrics were included. Finn has the best "seat" in the house!

    ReplyDelete