Saturday, August 14, 2021

Knitting the Same Hat, Twice!

Our family, including our daughter and Finn, spent the last week at a cottage up north.  We passed our days sitting on the dock or the screened porch, reading, doing a puzzle, going for walks and I also did some knitting.  I brought my new embroidery kit with me as well as a couple of knitting projects, but I did not even open the embroidery kit.  I was more in the mood to knit. The screened porch was the perfect place to knit--a nice breeze off the lake and no mosquitoes!


I was quite happy,  knitting away, and managed to finish the hat in short order.  I used a basic pattern that I had made before but added ribbing around the lower edge of the hat. I used slightly smaller needles for the ribbing and then switched to a larger size for the rest of the hat.  I wove the ends in right away and took a picture of my creation. 


I gave the hat to my daughter to try on, and much to my chagrin, it was way too tight!!! The next morning, I took the hat apart and rewound the ball of yarn to start again. 


I started knitting again, this time using the larger needles for the entire hat, ribbing included, with a much better result.  The hat fits just fine now!  


On our way home from the cottage today, I started another hat.  I will need to make some pompoms for both hats later. 


I read three books while we were at the cottage.


I have read 5 of Jennifer Robson's books--all historical fiction--probably my favourite genre.  The 44 Scotland Street Series by Alexander McColl Smith was originally published as a serial in the newspaper, a chapter a day, and then later as a series of books.  They are amusing and I often find myself laughing out loud and reading sections to my husband.  I bought the first one when we were in Scotland a couple of years ago.

I saw this stick on the road when we were out for a walk this past week. 



Here are a few pictures in Finn's favourite spot at the cottage, the dock. 





I will link up with Kathy and her Slow Sunday Stitchers in the morning. 

10 comments:

  1. It sounds like a lovely relaxing holiday and Finn looks very contented! Is he looking at the water because he wants to go in for a swim? Or more interested in those canoeists! Love the hat too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your holidays sounds as if you all enjoyed good company and lots of R&R. I too have been knitting this week. Love your hat. Such pretty wool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a very relaxing vacation. Finn looks quite content. What a beautiful view. Love the hat. I added those books to my list of future reads. They all look quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful week! Reading, knitting, family, and a pretty view. I'm sorry about the hat project, though, but glad you figured it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely post! I had a smile on my face looking at all the lovely photos. That stick is fascinating! I must look up your recommended books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice getaway! That stick looks like something I might use for a craft! Finn certainly looks like he is enjoying himself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a very relaxing time between the screened porch and the dock with that lovely view--Finn looks like he enjoyed it, too.
    Nice knitted hat...lovely yarn color
    (is it a "chunky" weight yarn?) Makes me want to knit again--I haven't in a long time...thanks for the lovely photos hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seems you all had a lovely relaxing holiday in beautiful surroundings. Pleased you beat that hat into submission, showing it who is boss!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you had a very relaxing and enjoyable time. Sitting on the porch with a knitting project or good book sounds heavenly. I find myself fascinated with the lichens and moss that attach to our trees and rocks as well. The colors are so amazing. It is fun to find beauty in unexpected things in nature. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a wonderful trip to the lake. I'm with Fin I love to sit on a dock.
    I too have had to undo and redo a hat, worth it in the end,
    Looks like good reads.

    ReplyDelete